• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E An ogre's punch

Wycen

Explorer
So, I've been doing a lot of game rules checking lately and my latest question is this.

I've looked at the stat blocks for ogres and it seems they prefer to use weapons. But what if they were forced to smack some PC's around with their bare hands?

Due to being Large, I'm going to guess the typical medium size damage of d3 would be upgraded to d4. Which seems weak, but they get to add their STR mod. And it isn't considered a natural attack so would provoke an AoO, except they have 10 reach so I guess that is an interesting trade off.

Other than simply deciding an ogre is better at using his hands, is there something someone can point to which might indicate 1d6 damage or anything else I'm missing?

Thanks

Belzbet

First Post
I checked out the ogre and it seems that it would be DM house rule to either increase the hand to hand damage of the ogre or give it a natural attack. As is it seems the ogre would deal 1d4 in nonlethal damage with its fist (no natural attack is listed). However, most giants do get a natural attack so maybe that was just an oversight when writing the ogre. I would give it either 2 claws or a slam attack. This would deal lethal damage and claw attacks for large creatures do 1d6+STR a frost giant has a slam attack that does 1d4+1.5STR.... I should note I didnt look in the pathfinder MM though so the rules here may differ than 3.5.

Last edited:

Either unarmed or slam.

I figure most ogres aren't that good at unarmed combat, and those that are would have taken barbarian levels and something like the Improved Unarmed Strike feat (you could call it "Slamming").

Unarmed attacks provoke opportunity attacks because if you swing your fist at me, and I have a sword, it's very easy for me to just put my sword in the path of your swing and cut you. If you swing a sword, well, I just knicked your sword, not your hand.

So even if the ogre has reach, he should provoke OAs for punching.

delericho

Legend
I've looked at the stat blocks for ogres and it seems they prefer to use weapons. But what if they were forced to smack some PC's around with their bare hands?

Then, by the book, they're just the same as everyone else - 1d4+Str mod non-lethal damage, and it provokes an attack of opportunity. Although, because the Ogre has reach, this last may not be an issue.

If you want the ogre to be more powerful, you should maybe consider the Improved Unarmed Strike feat, a level of Monk, or something similar. Or simply assign him a slam attack.

Unarmed attacks provoke opportunity attacks because if you swing your fist at me, and I have a sword, it's very easy for me to just put my sword in the path of your swing and cut you. If you swing a sword, well, I just knicked your sword, not your hand.

Logically, this is correct. By the book, though...

(Funnily enough, I had exactly the same conversation with a player of mine some years ago, when he wanted to Ready an attack to strike back when a dragon was going to attack him with Reach. Given his previous track record of rules-lawyering, I took some pleasure in denying his request.)

Cleon

Legend
Just equip them a Spiked Gauntlet to give them 1d6 damage and avoid the AoO issue.

It also means they do lethal damage rather than nonlethal, which is another problem with Unarmed Strike.

Spiked gauntlets are simple weapons, so the Ogre will be proficient in them.

frankthedm

First Post
Ogres in the 1E had a 1d10 natural attack, with the hit probability based only on their HD. If they instead wielded a weapon, they got a bonus to hit and bonus to damage. Back in 1E, getting that boost was pretty noteworthy for a monster.
The ogre provokes, but those without the reach to get to the ogre's space can't take the AoO on the ogre's limb.

Hell, in PF IIRC you can't even READY a counterattack for a reaching limb without a mid level heroic feat.

That doesn't make sense to me. If your fist is within the length of my arm + the length of my weapon -- which it definitely is if you're going to make contact and harm me -- then I can hit your fist.

Rules as written here aren't realistic. And haven't you ever seen a scene in some movie or cartoon where a big monster reaches for a little guy, who pokes it in the palm with his dagger?

Wycen

Explorer
I get your drift Ranger. And thanks for all the replies, some of them came to my mind as well (spiked gauntlet for example).

For my purposes, anything that can be argued is going to cause more problems. Our game is at a crossroads and it is because of things like "she's a half-orc so she does more damage" that have me asking these questions.

Remove ads