An Unexpected Victory, Unconditional Surrender, and Unfinished Business.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
They all did. Permission for others to use their OCS is part of the terms they agreed to and are posting in their products(assuming they are following 1.0a properly). If they didn't know then they didn't read OGL 1.0a very well.
Permission for others to use it if those others are using 1.0a too, right?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Well, I can see where you're misreading, at least.
Thats one clause in the license. As that is a legal document and not simply stray paragraphs, It cannot be read in isolation, it only applies if you follow every term in that license. You can't snip out the grant by itself and pretend the obligations listed in that license don't exist. Even if you do, your own highlighted text says

"with the exact terms of this License" - you need to read and follow those terms for any of the license text to be valid. Otherwise you're in breach of contract, as well as violation of copyright.

Now we get to this bit:

If you are for any reason unable to follow those terms, and do not fix it within 30 days, the license terminates, and you no longer have that perpetual, etc, license you were granted in 4.
What term can you not follow? The part you quoted specifically says that the sublicences(those licenses in the 3PP) continue on.

Matt Thomason

Adventurer
What term can you not follow? The part you quoted specifically says that the sublicences(those licenses in the 3PP) continue on.
What you have is a license. Which terminates under clause 13.
Sublicenses are licenses that are created from your license - people using your Open Game Content.

This means if you violate the terms of the license and your license terminates, other licenses that other people have that were dependent on your license do not.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Permission for others to use it if those others are using 1.0a too, right?
The sublicense says they need to follow the terms of OGL 1.0a, not use OGL 1.0a.
What you have is a license. Which terminates under clause 13.
Sublicenses are licenses that are created from your license - people using your Open Game Content.

This means if you violate the terms of the license and your license terminates, other licenses that other people have that were dependent on your license do not.
Okay. What term has the author violated that causes the termination of his license? Which by the way the author has 30 days to cure and continue using the license he has been granted.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
The sublicense says they need to follow the terms of OGL 1.0a, not use OGL 1.0a.

"2. The License: This License applies to any Open Game Content that contains a notice indicating that the Open Game Content may only be Used under and in terms of this License. You must affix such a notice to any Open Game Content that you Use. No terms may be added to or subtracted from this License except as described by the License itself. No other terms or conditions may be applied to any Open Game Content distributed using this License."

"10. Copy of this License: You MUST include a copy of this License with every copy of the Open Game Content You Distribute"

It feels like your interpretation is absolutely bonker balls. But IANAL. @pemerton @S'mon @Snarf Zagyg ?

::🤷::

Matt Thomason

Adventurer

Okay. What term has the author violated that causes the termination of his license? Which by the way the author has 30 days to cure and continue using the license he has been granted.
The violation would be not including the OGL 1.0a license itself in their work, attributing all the works listed in the S15s of the works they used.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
"2. The License: This License applies to any Open Game Content that contains a notice indicating that the Open Game Content may only be Used under and in terms of this License. You must affix such a notice to any Open Game Content that you Use. No terms may be added to or subtracted from this License except as described by the License itself. No other terms or conditions may be applied to any Open Game Content distributed using this License."

"10. Copy of this License: You MUST include a copy of this License with every copy of the Open Game Content You Distribute"

It feels like your interpretation is absolutely bonker balls. But IANAL. @pemerton @S'mon @Snarf Zagyg ?
When the 3PP creator produced his product, a contract was formed between WotC and the 3PP. WotC can't unilaterally change the contract. The terms are set when both sides have agreed to the contract and performed what they need to perform. Deauthorizing 1.0a later applies to future products, not the ones already produced. If I were to use the Runeblades supplement's OGC for something I want to create, I would need to follow the terms of OGL 1.0a, which includes putting a copy of that license in my product.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
The violation would be not including the OGL 1.0a license itself in their work, attributing all the works listed in the S15s of the works they used.
I don't understand what you are saying here. If they followed OGL 1.0a properly, then the copy of the license is in there already so there is no violation, and I'm not sure what you are arguing about section 15.

Matt Thomason

Adventurer
I don't understand what you are saying here. If they followed OGL 1.0a properly, then the copy of the license is in there already so there is no violation, and I'm not sure what you are arguing about section 15.
You were the one that said 5.1 under CC means you no longer need the OGL for reusing OGC from derivative material (the 3PP works licensed under the OGL)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases