• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Analysis of the new stat pairs for elf, eladrin, dwarf, halfling

Neverfate

First Post
Was hoping for Dex, Int/Cha for Eladrin. I use them more for striking classes than magical classes. Oh well, my rogues and assassins will still be using Int as a dump stat.

LuckyAdrastus

First Post
I like these changes in general. Especially the Eladrin, for whom this opens up many of the "mind-bending" Int/Cha options that fit well for them. It also supports the Int/Cha shaper psion build in Psionic Power, which fits eladrin well fluff-wise, b/c of the new-agey/reality-bending feel to many of the powers, which fit an intellectual race from another plane of existence.

The Dex/Con build for halflings doesn't match that many classes, but it does help support the kind of psychotic halfling character (e.g. Belkar) who shows up a lot in my experience. Nice to have a less happy-go-lucky option.

The Str/Con options for dwarves makes an extremely powerful race more powerful at what it is good at. I like, b/c it isn't too powerful (no more than Shardmind for mental stuff) and the flavor is good. I would've liked to see support for Dwarven Artificers and Wizards, but Int just doesn't seem right...

I'm least happy with the change to elves. I like making them good swordmages, but otherwise, I think most Int-based arcane options just make more sense with eladrin than elves. The 4e elf is more like the wood elf than the high elf from earlier editions, and I liked the current emphasis on primal, martial, and striking. I think Dex/Cha would've been a better option, because it supports the more intuitive arcane classes (warlock, sorcerer, bard). It also would've made Shelly Mazzanoble's 3.5 elven sorcerer pretty optimal, which I think is a good kind of iconic build for the more... sensitive of new players. (Not meant as a dig, there just happen to be a lot of players out there who fit chick-lit RPG options like Blue Rose).

Kzach

Banned
Banned
I do hope these changes make it into the Character builder and errata updates as part of the core rules. If they do, it will finally justify giving humans an extra +2, which I've argued for a long time is what they need.

Drakhar

First Post
I do hope these changes make it into the Character builder and errata updates as part of the core rules. If they do, it will finally justify giving humans an extra +2, which I've argued for a long time is what they need.

If humans do get another floating +2 they better lose their bonus to all NADS because the only reason for them to have that is to balance the lower defences they would have compared to the other races.

Yeah, except that isn't going to happen. Races will certainly get errata to conform to the essentials versions in the next build, but since essentials human doesn't get 2 +2s you aren't going to see that happening. Can't say I'm sorry about that. Humans have significant enough racial features already to hold their own.

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
As a fan of floating stats, this makes me very happy. *crosses fingers* Here's hoping for a +2 Con tiefling option!

(Although I sense that feats like Dwarven Weapon Training will be errataed, or dare I utter the words, removed to account for the optimal stat options.)

mkill

Adventurer
Although I sense that feats like Dwarven Weapon Training will be errataed, or dare I utter the words, removed to account for the optimal stat options.

I assume the feat will get updated to match Goliath Greatweapon Prowess and Githzerai Blade Master - the proficiency will be limited to simple and martial weapons (possibly with one superior weapon as bonus), but the damage bonus will scale +2/+3/+4.

Remathilis

Legend
Wonder what the others are going to be?

* Dragonborn: STR and Cha/Con?
* Half-Elf: Cha and Con/Dex?
* Half-Orc: STR and Dex/Wis?
* Drow: CHA and Dex/Wis?
* Tiefling: Int and Cha/Con?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads