D&D General And You May Ask Yourself- How do I play D&D? Commercialization and the Closing of OD&D

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Your essay and this article have been going around and around in my head for a bit, chasing each other. At odds is the idea that commercialization was inherently a bad thing for D&D. D&D is more popular than ever, and inspiring more people than ever. And not just to play it, but to hack it, take it places not intended (I'm reminded of the person that used the D&D Next rules to run a Downton Abbey campaign). And even if you don't do any of your own customization of the game, it's still inspiring people's art and creativity. People make art, music, cocktails, stories, and more inspired by D&D. Even if you run a bog-standard fantasy world, you're still creating.

Yes, D&D was raw and broken when it first came on the scene, and inspired people by dint of people needing to do their own game design to get it running. But as you said, it's never stopped inspiring people and acting as a toolkit. I get that it's also important to support indie RPGs, but contrary to what that article says, D&D still continues to bring joy and inspire.

To be clear- I don't think commercialization is a bad thing!

The obvious benefits include, for example, the fact that it can spread to a much, larger audience. I am truly grateful that D&D maintains those norms that include using it a toolkit, and I am always amazed and impressed with what the people are doing today- the only way for a game to truly be evergreen is for each generation to make it their own.

Oh no, I didn't think so - in that regards I was talking more about the Jacobin article. Indeed, without commercialization, D&D as we know it might not even exist. The argument of the Jacobin is dangerously close to "kids today don't know what real D&D."

To be clear- I don't think commercialization is a bad thing!

The obvious benefits include, for example, the fact that it can spread to a much, larger audience. I am truly grateful that D&D maintains those norms that include using it a toolkit, and I am always amazed and impressed with what the people are doing today- the only way for a game to truly be evergreen is for each generation to make it their own.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Oh no, I didn't think so - in that regards I was talking more about the Jacobin article. Indeed, without commercialization, D&D as we know it might not even exist. The argument of the Jacobin is dangerously close to "kids today don't know what real D&D."
Yeah, I think that author missed the mark a good bit.

D&D and TTRPGs in general relied on commercialization to spread as widely as they have. And, especially in the wake of the OGL, the games ARE free for players to control and create and share.

The whole OSR and indie RPG movements stand in testimony both to the existence of a thriving ecosystem of amateur writers, designers, and artists, and to the limitations of that movement and how it benefits from the existence of a big commercial form which drives the tide and lifts all boats.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist

I mean, in fairness, unless you've walked 10 miles in a snowstorm, uphill, just so you can play a first level MU with 2 hit points, that gets killed in the first combat by a kobold with a dull butter knife before you get off your single spell ... and then have to walk 10 miles back (also uphill, because physics worked differently back then) in that same snowstorm ...

Have you really played D&D?

Voadam

Legend
I mean, in fairness, unless you've walked 10 miles in a snowstorm, uphill, just so you can play a first level MU with 2 hit points, that gets killed in the first combat by a kobold with a dull butter knife before you get off your single spell ... and then have to walk 10 miles back (also uphill, because physics worked differently back then) in that same snowstorm ...

Have you really played D&D?
Over a multi-miles slog you go up and down over multiple hills, so of course there is uphill both ways. The epic scope just makes the past seem like it worked on different physics when taken out of context.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases