D&D General (Anecdotal) conversations with Asian gamers on some problems they currently face in the D&D world of RPG gaming

Panda-s1

Scruffy and Determined
IMHO, I get the cynical sense that the call to focus on bigger issues is really a convoluted plea to leave those issues alone in D&D without any reflection on how D&D and the wider tabletop hobby may be (likely unintentionally) complicit in those larger real issues. People can continue pretending there is no problem of racism in D&D as long as people focus on the bigger issues, which will be more difficult to immediately solve. People don't like having their nostalgic paraphernalia criticized, as it feels like an indirect attack on their own person as their identities are tied in the liking of said paraphernalia.

It's also notable that if one were to work on those bigger issues of racism and the like, as per the call to action, there would be just as many people who would likewise say that those people should focus on larger issues still. The message is clear. There's never a good time to evaluate or resolve the problem.
really stopping the sales of books like OA should be considered part and parcel of addressing the larger issues surrounding D&D. it's like the simplest part of resolving these issues.

I've seen memes and whatnot on Facebook about how the removal of certain statues in the US are just a distraction from resolving actual systemic problems, and while I do agree their removal still needs to happen as part of this resolution.

I'm increasingly sad at the voices here on ENWorld who are dead set on dismissing and silencing the opinions of Asian Americans and Asian American gamers in order to hold onto their nostalgia for harmful, orientalist takes on Asian culture and mythology. Not all Asian Americans and Asians agree on what is and isn't harmful and offensive, heck, the various commentators on the "Asians Read" videos don't all agree on various points . . . . but it's clear that the book is highly problematic in how it treats Asian cultures.

I would love to hear more Asian American voices on this issue, so thanks to the OP of this thread for adding to that!

I don't think there Is good evidence that Asian voices are being silenced here. Only the mods can do that. Anyone that is overly rude or violates the rules also gets shutdown pretty fast. This smacks to me as more of a straw person claim.

What I have seen is the lack of more Asian voices being dismissed as they are just taught not to speak up. What I have seen dismissed is lot of other Asians saying they don’f Jane an issue (which I have brought up$.

OA is pretty much Japanese and Chinese cultural tropes in game form. I have not noticed any Japanese (-American - Canadian) having an issue with it. I showed a very popular Japanese TTRPG that uses the same basic classes and themes as D&D and other mainstream games here.

The name and the advertising copy on the back cover is probably pointed at the most.
The book had Japanese playtesters, so there were Asian voices being raised up when it was being written.

I also think that Asian is really not specific enough as Asia has a lot of different peoples and cultures. I know lots of Chinese- Canadians in Toronto that have spent way less time in Asia than I have. Some none.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
As someone who is half Japanese (and therefore, Asian), half white, and all American:
  • I believe that the government shouldn't abrogate free speech.
  • This situation is not that.
  • WotC is free to do with this content what they want.
  • But that their decision might have financial consequences - in either direction.
  • This is part and parcel of the greater conversation about race and culture within our elf games.
  • I am never in favor of banning anything. Stuff that is banned doesn't disappear, it just goes into hiding and festers.
  • My thinking is give the damn thing (in pdf form) away free forever with a disclaimer. At least this way copies of the physical book don't become talismans of "you took away my precious".

I want to say to @Panda-s1 THANK YOU for taking on the thankless task of commenting as an Asian on this thread.

The whole bit about model Asians and "brought up to be X" is illogical when applied across the entire population of the Asian super-continent. There's a whole world of difference between a Palestinian and a Tajik and an Indonesian and a Japanese person. The whole idea of a monolithic "Asia" is as laughable as a monolithic Europe, Africa, or even North America.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
What I have seen is the lack of more Asian voices being dismissed as they are just taught not to speak up.

Please don't bundle all Asians together as monolithically being "taught" a or b or c. It's just not a true statement.

My expectation is that there aren't as many folks from the Asian diaspora here on this board compared to folks with only European descent. [edited to add "... which is why you don't see more Asian voices."

Last edited:

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
OA is pretty much Japanese and Chinese cultural tropes in game form. I have not noticed any Japanese (-American - Canadian) having an issue with it. I showed a very popular Japanese TTRPG that uses the same basic classes and themes as D&D and other mainstream games here.
I'm Japanese American. I have an issue with it being called "Oriental" anything. Done.

(GURPS Japan and GURPS China handled this stuff waaay better. At the very least the product names were better.)

Panda-s1

Scruffy and Determined
Some pointed out that Masataka Ohta, Akira Saito, Hiroyasu Kurose, Takafumi Sakurai, and Yuka Tate-ishi were those who were involved with critiquing and even writing part of the original Oriental Adventures, and in fact, are some of the ONLY credited Asian individuals to EVER be credited on ANY OFFICIAL D&D release for direct contributions (apologies if I didn't get the names exactly right, I tried spelling them correctly, I apologize if I made any mistakes on it). That said, it was done with short notice and there may have been many other changes made had they been given the time to fully change them or taken more seriously in that endeavor. Those who pointed it out do NOT WANT the few Asian contributors to be erased from D&D history, which seems to be one of the driving points of why they are so angry about people suggesting the removal of OA.

so I kinda want to come back to this bit: who exactly are these people? who is this group of individuals who apparently comprise a large chunk of the entirety of Asian people credited in an official D&D release? maybe I'll make a new thread about this—haha jk that sounds exhausting.

without any real context we probably just believe that these 5 individuals are experts in Asian culture, though given they all have Japanese names it's more likely they are only experts in Japanese culture. so okay, maybe OA is full of some very dated ideas about East Asian culture, but at least they got help from some cultural experts.

but... who are they? I decided to google their names individually and... nothing seemed to stand out. this felt weird, only one of them, Akira Saito, has a name you might call "typical" for Japanese and unsurprisingly the top hits included a 3d modeler and motorcycle racer. it doesn't help I don't know the kanji for their names either, that would actually narrow down things a lot.

so I decided to google all of them at once, maybe someone has already written the story on the creation of Oriental Adventures and I got... this very forum thread (awkward), but also the sample bit from Drive Thru-RPG and I found their credit:
To the Japanese players—Masataka Ohta, Akira Saito, Hiroyasu Kurose, Takafumi Sakurai, and Yuka Tate-ishi—for critiquing and improving the manuscript on short notice.

so... they're just players? now I know at least some of you already knew this, fine, but I didn't, and it's like really? some of the only Asian people to receive credit in an English language D&D product were just players? not even contributing any content or subject expertise, just "critiquing and improving the manuscript"? what exactly does that even entail?

and again, who are they? I did some digging and learned in 1985, the same year OA was published, redbox saw it's first release in Japan. maybe some of these guys were part of the nascent tabletop RPG scene in Japan. maybe they were part of Shinwa, the company who published D&D in Japan at that time. again no real leads, but then I started googling their names again and realized something: each search got a hit on DBLP. DBLP is a German bibliography website that lists academic articles about computer science. each one of those names brings up at least one article from the 1980's. at this point it's pure speculation, but I'm now under the impression they were just a gaming group at some college who were all studying computer science and were playtesters for the Japanese version of D&D.

which, more power to these guys, they got more credit than your average video game QA tester could ever hope for, and I really want to know their story and what role they might have played in D&D's release in Japan. I wish I had the connections and know how to interview them and write that article.

but in the bigger picture, it's extremely disappointing. did TSR ask them for their help because they were Japanese? was this supposed to be a concession for people like me? if they had connections in Japan did they not bother trying to get an actual expert in Japanese history and culture from Japan?

also what of this bibliography that people seem to laud because it somehow justifies the existence of this book? I can't read it (legally), but are these books by actual authors from Asia that were translated in to English, or are they just books by Western authors? if OA is considered dated, can you also imagine that some of the books they cite are also dated and might have views on Asian culture that might be problematic? can you understand how upsetting it might be that the majority of Asian people to be credited in D&D are all in one book and likely contributed no actual content to the game?

if no Asian person made any meaningful contribution to the creation of a book about Asian culture, directly or otherwise, can you at least concede that that in of itself is a little messed up?

Panda-s1

Scruffy and Determined
As someone who is half Japanese (and therefore, Asian), half white, and all American:
  • I believe that the government shouldn't abrogate free speech.
  • This situation is not that.
  • WotC is free to do with this content what they want.
  • But that their decision might have financial consequences - in either direction.
  • This is part and parcel of the greater conversation about race and culture within our elf games.
  • I am never in favor of banning anything. Stuff that is banned doesn't disappear, it just goes into hiding and festers.
  • My thinking is give the damn thing (in pdf form) away free forever with a disclaimer. At least this way copies of the physical book don't become talismans of "you took away my precious".

I want to say to @Panda-s1 THANK YOU for taking on the thankless task of commenting as an Asian on this thread.

The whole bit about model Asians and "brought up to be X" is illogical when applied across the entire population of the Asian super-continent. There's a whole world of difference between a Palestinian and a Tajik and an Indonesian and a Japanese person. The whole idea of a monolithic "Asia" is as laughable as a monolithic Europe, Africa, or even North America.
yeah, I do appreciate the thanks.

also, look I know where you're coming from but 1) while it is bad to make blanket statements about a group of people, it's also a little colorblind to say certain cultural things just aren't true. I confirmed what someone said earlier, that my own very Americanized Asian mother told me to not be loud and not cause problems, and I know for a fact I'm not the only Asian American person to be given this advice from a parent. this does kinda tie into the larger world that is Asian American studies that I've already brought up before, and why you might not see a huge Asian American movement against this book even though their might be a number of them who know about OA and find it distasteful. 2) yeah okay I know Asia is a huge continent, but at least in American English when we say "Asian" we're really talking about East and Southeast Asia and I don't want to have to type that out every time, nor do I want to type something like "the immigrant populations in America of East Asian and Southeast Asian countries and the descendants thereof".

...........................................you do realize it's entirely possible to be concerned about this and other WotC related issues right? dealing with OA is just part of a larger issue.

Yes, just like it's possible to think that other issues are more important and that it's okay to have that opinion.

Just because I might disagree with your opinion doesn't mean I'm dismissing you. This isn't Twitter.

nope, you don't get to decide whether or not people like me think it's a problem. I highly doubt this is the first time anyone brought this issue up either, just because it wasn't brought to your own attention doesn't mean it only became an issue yesterday.

No, but I do get to decide for me, and I get to express my opinion, too. I don't see why me expressing my opinion means your opinion is less valid, or why I should back off just because you find the material more objectionable than I do. I don't agree with you. That doesn't mean you have to shut up or that I'm not hearing what your opinion is or that I don't understand why you feel as you do. I just don't find your reasoning convincing.

I'm all for putting a content warning on the work. They can put one on the Kara-Tur: The Eastern Realms FR boxed set and the OA1-OA7 modules, if the material they contain is offensive, too. Or the 3e Oriental Adventures, if that's still objectionable, although I don't think that's for sale on DriveThruRPG (because of the Rokugan content?).

Regardless of the content, however, what I object to is banning the content outright, or demanding it be re-edited without the original author's consent or input. I don't believe that the content of Oriental Adventures is so toxic, so caustic, so destructive to the culture of the game and survival of the hobby that it cannot be allowed for new players to even entertain the ideas presented in the book. To me, that's what removal from DTRPG represents, especially because the OA materials are very difficult to find in print. Banning means these ideas are so offensive or that the player base is so poorly educated that even with a content warning they cannot be trusted to read the book at all. That's a very high bar, and I know it's not a criteria that others are going to share, but that's how I feel nonetheless. I find the argument to ban or remove the work far more offensive than the stereotypes.

If I look at the criticisms in the original post:

#1. Do not ask where they are from if they are born in the US or Europe. This is annoying.

I agree, this is very annoying. Doesn't seem related to OA.

#2. Stop with the slang. People at the game tables or at shops may call them slang terms or words in reference to their Asian background.

This sounds like awful behavior. I honestly am not sure exactly what slang is being referred to, however. I try to use the terms in the book for everything. I hope those aren't offensive? I don't think I even want to know what the slang terms are.

#3. Not really from the US or Europe (UK at least), but in regards to other nations...more support in their native language for D&D.

5e is the first edition in a long time that hasn't had widespread translation outside of English. It's surprising given the online popularity and explosive growth the edition has enjoyed.

#4. More recognition for Asian influence on RPGs. Asia is one of the BIGGEST groups behind CRPGs these days, and are a major force in the influence on RPGs in general. You would never guess that from looking at D&D. Many of the ideas that influenced modern TTRPGs came from CRPGs, and a LOT of that are from the influences of RPGS made in Asia.

I mean, this seems to be asking for a 5e Asian Adventures. Although, I don't really want my TTRPG to be more like a CRPG, western or JRPG.

Frankly, though, I think a localized version of #3 and #4 with localized Asian art would sell like gangbusters in the Asian market.

#5. No more white washing. I pointed this out before, but I don't think anyone took notice, and most Americans may not anyways. Many companies create a class called the Ninja, or the Samurai, or another class based upon an Asian notation (such as a nobility, a group, an occupation, or otherwise). However, in many instances it is something that will normally be used by a Non-Asian background or group. It is accepted that they'll have Elf Ninja's or Western style samurai. No cultural notation is made regarding what these classes originally were in a historical and cultural reference. It is taking names out of context and putting them into a game term.

I agree this is common. More common than it ought to be. However, if we take out the part where everybody is white, it's kind of how fantasy and sci-fi works. Take different parts of the real world, switch things around in a different order, and then remove human cultures and add in alien or fantasy ancestries. It is a little disappointing how the humans are always white. However, part of the point is to remove the historical context. Paladins are removed from the court of Charlemagne, Clerics are removed from Christian imperial theocracy, Druids and Bards are removed from Celtic cultures, Monks are removed from Buddhist monasteries, Barbarians are removed from North America, Scandanvia, Germany, etc. I understand what you're saying; if you remove so much of a Samurai's or Ninja's culture that it becomes unrecognizable, you should probably call them some other kind of Fighter or Rogue. The culture is an essential component of the class, but fantasy's nature muddies the whole argument.

All I'm saying is that this one is more complex and nuanced than the rest.

Consider a word like "chivalry" which we often see in descriptions for Paladins. It's almost always used in the later meaning, courtly manners or sometimes courtly romance. However, the original meaning was the same root as cavalry. It meant you could use a horse as a warrior. Do we need to have that much historical context to discuss the Paladin? How about the fact that Paladins were the honor guard for Charlemagne, and their name basically means "palace knight" or "palace retainer" and also "from Palatine Hill" which is where the Roman Empire was born (hence why the Holy Roman Emperor chose that name, to evoke the fallen empire). Is this really relevant to the form that Paladins take? You see how the historical context doesn't always mean a lot.

Or Rangers. They were original foresters who got a charter from the local lord to be a magistrate of the forest. They were basically... forest cops. That's why we call them park rangers and forest rangers. However, by the time we got to North America, rangers are frontiersmen like Davy Crockett and Daniel Boone who worked as solders, scouts, guides, etc. in the Revolutionary War and American Indian Wars. Again, does this historical context help understand what the ranger character class is? We can see where it comes from, but it doesn't really inform it a whole lot more than what's already present except to probably introduce bias against the class since rangers were instrumental in colonialism.

I get what's being said if we're talking about making an Asian-themed setting, but I don't know where the line is between creating classes inspired by history, but separated from it, and creating character classes that require historical context.

You make a LOT of really good points and have a lot of good analysis in your post.

But at the end, you are dismissing the opinions of Asian Americans who DO feel that this is a problem worth discussing, both on it's own and in the larger context of racial/cultural issues being given attention right now.

No, I'm disagreeing that they're actually as important, as toxic, or as destructive to the hobby as some claim. That is my part of the discussion. Disagreement is not dismissal. I think that's self-evident. I also think that if nobody can criticize someone's position or argument, then it looks like you're saying the position is so indefensible that it can't stand up to any criticism at all. If this argument is so meritorious, then surely it can endure a little disagreement and a little criticism and still prevail.

The folks who find Oriental Adventures a problem that needs a solution are NOT arguing that this is the only problem worth discussing, nor that this is a larger problem than the others you list. Why can't we discuss the problematic elements and solutions for OA and also at the same time discuss the other very real issues you list?

Because I think it distracts from those other issues. Because there's a limited amount of time and energy and attention in the world, and I think it's better spent on other problems. The same reason that anybody says, "I don't think that's the most important issue right now," about any topic anywhere ever. I think it's an issue which is easy to dismiss as an unimportant issue because it's about a product that isn't important -- and I think it's a not-close argument that Oriental Adventures is unimportant to the modern game -- and it adds to the pile of more serious issues. I think that by adding less important issues to the pile right now that it will be easier for actual opponents of progress in the hobby will find it easier to make convincing arguments that dismiss all the problems we have. Or it will be easier for WotC to quickly do something about OA, and then ignore the wider, systemic issues that will continue to directly harm the hobby now and in the future guaranteed. I don't want to give WotC an easy-out or an easy win when we all know the big problems are anything but easy. I want the current pressure to get WotC to fix the hard problems. We're not building an overwhelming case that they'll have to respond to one item at a time, we're building a house of cards. They'll pick the easiest one, and then let the rest of them fall where they lay.

Think about how often you give someone a list of points in an argument, and the responses pick the weakest point, cite one strong argument against that weak point, and then ignore the rest of the issues as though they were addressed. Your whole argument would've been stronger if you'd just left out that weak point. This is why it's important to stay focused on what's actually central to the issue instead of getting bogged down in myriad issues that in and of themselves don't really address the ongoing systemic problems.

Nobody who worked on Oriental Adventures is still working at WotC. Many of it's authors and contributors have moved on from TTRPGs or retired or died. The book is quite old. The profit from the sales of the book will not go to the people who originally created the work. Those people are no longer around to hear and learn from that criticism anymore. Nobody at WotC is going to step forward and issue errata or a revision correcting the work. They're going to throw the whole thing away and start over, just like they did with the Samurai in Xanathar's Guide to Everything. This isn't an ongoing problem because it's basically a dead product (though I imagine right now it's selling quite well, relatively speaking).

You should also note that most voices who agree that OA is a problem, are not in favor of removing the book from digital sales. But are rather in favor of adding a disclaimer to the digital book.

Then we agree and you shouldn't be upset that I expressed my opinion. There's no reason I shouldn't join the consensus or express why I think banning is outright wrong, is there?

so I kinda want to come back to this bit: who exactly are these people? who is this group of individuals who apparently comprise a large chunk of the entirety of Asian people credited in an official D&D release? maybe I'll make a new thread about this—haha jk that sounds exhausting.

without any real context we probably just believe that these 5 individuals are experts in Asian culture, though given they all have Japanese names it's more likely they are only experts in Japanese culture. so okay, maybe OA is full of some very dated ideas about East Asian culture, but at least they got help from some cultural experts.

but... who are they? I decided to google their names individually and... nothing seemed to stand out.

I certainly agree. I'm sure these guys were as helpful as they could be, but they're just five names who look like copy editors or proofreaders. They must have some expertise in history or Asian culture, but they don't appear to be game designers to me. And the credit even notes how they didn't have much time to help. It's a far stretch from a byline.

if no Asian person made any meaningful contribution to the creation of a book about Asian culture, directly or otherwise, can you at least concede that that in of itself is a little messed up?

I think that someone who was born and raised in an Asian culture has special knowledge about that specific culture. That is to say, a person born and living in Japan who studies Japanese culture and history is a much better resource about Japanese culture and history than a person born and living in the United States who studies Japanese culture and history.

I do not think you need someone of Asian ethnicity.

Panda-s1

Scruffy and Determined
I don't think there Is good evidence that Asian voices are being silenced here. Only the mods can do that. Anyone that is overly rude or violates the rules also gets shutdown pretty fast. This smacks to me as more of a straw person claim.
hmm, let me see, someone early on in this thread brought up a "stereotype" about Asian people being taught not to raise problems, to which I replied "oh, yeah, even my own very Americanized Asian mother told me that the loudest person is the one who gets in trouble" and even how other Asian Americans I know have received such a lesson from their parents. I posted that before I went to bed. when I woke up I found that other users attacked him for using a stereotype and how awful it was. it escalated to the point where both these people were banned from this thread.

so, never mind the fact that I, an Asian person said "oh yeah, there's actually some truth to what you say", the fact that it's a stereotype of Asian people means his argument is bad and invalid. and now his account is inactive, which is too bad, I kinda liked him.

inb4 "but you weren't banned!" no, I wasn't, but I was still effectively silenced: what I said was ignored so that someone else could validate their own opinion.

Remove ads