• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anima: Beyond Fantasy RPG

shouit

Explorer
From what I hear on rpg.net, they are having problems with the translating it from Spanish. That is the reason for the delay.

Someone

Adventurer
Dragonhelm said:
I was wondering if anybody knew anything about the Anima: Beyond Fantasy RPG.

Looks like it's partially based on manga, but it sounds like it could be a bit more. Just wondering what the setting and story is like.

It also looks like it will be its own system, using 2d10.

Thanks in advance.

It doesn't use 2d10, it used 1d100 for all tasks. I bought a copy at a local manga convention (never seen so many papier mache giant gourds in my life), where the revised edition was premiered. I sold the book in e-bay four days after that.

At fist sight the book is beautiful, though the text is quite small and difficult to read. Illustrations are also nice, though not the best I've seen or even close to that; also vary very much on style and quality and don't seem to relate to the text they are linked very much. Scantily clad suspiciously underage girls abound.

Despite the game's name, it doesn't have anything to do with manga or is conceived to simulate any popular show or even generic Shonen-themed adventures. It's generic, western style fantasy.

The game system is prehistoric. Well, not prehistoric, is like if someone performed an unholy rite on the colective game systems of the late 80s-early 90s and brought an undead, bastard child of Rolemaster to life. Everything is done with points. Magic? magic points. Psychic powers? Willpower points. Life points. Character creation points. Combat system isn't quick, simple or detailed, or in general having any positive quality: suspect of any game that suggest a calculator to speed up combat. It's however very detailed with powers the character can benefit, from martial to divine, though each of them follow their own mechanic; I can't say if they work well in actual play, though I found them uninspiring (despite some of them reaching ridiculous levels of power).

The setting lacks any shadow of originality other than presenting (I kid you not) a historical charater called Christ that was killed and specifically mentioned it didn't resurrect after any period of time. Other than that, is your typical renaissance tech level kitchen sink fantasy setting that pretends to be dark fantasy but lacks any actual darkness.

So I strongly discourage anyone reading this post to buy such piece of already obsolete crap.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Someone said:
The game system is prehistoric. Well, not prehistoric, is like if someone performed an unholy rite on the colective game systems of the late 80s-early 90s and brought an undead, bastard child of Rolemaster to life.

It always seems to be the case that when you see these 'RPG/Minis/Computer game/Figure Line/Board game/etc' combos that are developed as one packaged line, the RPG usually is a complete peice of derivative garbage.

yerren

First Post
Hello everyone,
as I´m spanish and I have the original version af the anima rpg and the new revised versión published around a month ago, as well as the screen and "Gaia, beyond dreams", that is the world supplement (304 pages in which only 10 are for new rules)I think I can give you a lot of information. First of all, if you are interested in the art, which is totally awesome, you can visit this link: http://wen-m.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=216. In it you can see many of the images done for the game by Wen Yu Li, the main author of the Gaia art and some of the rpg images

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
WayneLigon said:
It always seems to be the case that when you see these 'RPG/Minis/Computer game/Figure Line/Board game/etc' combos that are developed as one packaged line, the RPG usually is a complete peice of derivative garbage.

Yah. The Warhammer Fantasy RPG is crap. (That was sarcasm) ;)

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I have to admit that I'm pretty interested in this system, though I don't expect it to be any more 'anime' than BESM was/is (i.e., I suspect that it will simply be a fairly generic system with anime art).

Cadfan

First Post
I don't know much about the rpg, but the miniature game is an absolute beauty. Its one of those rare games where a few simple rules unpack to hold a great deal of depth.

yerren

First Post
Concerning the game system I can tell you one thing: I´ve playing rpgs (d&d for most of the time) for around 15 years and I dislike game systems very complicated and I can tell you this isn´t . I´m a great fan of the d20 system (I usually play only d&d ) and I only use the anima system apart d20. It´s certain that the system "appears" very difficult but it is only when you create the characters. Once you have created the characters is very simple when you are accostumed. It uses a mixed system of d100/d10 and it also uses difficulty categories similar in some ways as such used in the d20 system. Other important thing in the system are the rolls aginst other rolls ( against enemies, other npcs, etc) but it is very easy when you get uesd to the system.

Remove ads