• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anima: Beyond Fantasy RPG

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
I was wondering if anybody knew anything about the Anima: Beyond Fantasy RPG.

Looks like it's partially based on manga, but it sounds like it could be a bit more. Just wondering what the setting and story is like.

It also looks like it will be its own system, using 2d10.

Thanks in advance.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I only know that I first heard about it 'coming soon' about a year and a half ago. That word (i.e., 'soon') apparently loses all meaning in the RPG world when it comes to hitting release dates.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
WayneLigon said:
Is there even a release date, yet? I've heard absolutely nothing about the game save the very pretty website they have.

The little catalog I got in the mail says February 2008. I think it's Fantasy Flight Games. Beyond that, I know very little.

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
I know that the Spanish version is being sold in Europe. English version was supposed to be out back during the spring and kept getting extended. I really want to get a hold of it, but my Spanish isn't worth trying to make heads or tails of the version currently available.

Edheldur

First Post
Personally, I don't like it. Someone on my last gaming group loaned me his copy -we're in Mexico, so he has the spanish version- and I found the system needlessly complicated. The problem's not the math, but the bloated numbers (basically all numbers are in the hundreds since the start) and the little special subcases in which the general rules doesn't apply.

And about the setting, it's just a rehashed/manga-ed version of Europe -complete with a pope as head figure for the religion of the world, a savior, his followers, and an Inquisition).

There are some interesting things in the rules/setting, but -personally- I wouldn't ever play it as it is written or with the setting as presented.

Edheldur

First Post
I think it was rennasaince-like technology, with some magitech and steampunk around somewhere, but to be honest I don't remember it that well.

skinnydwarf

Explorer
Dragonhelm said:
I was wondering if anybody knew anything about the Anima: Beyond Fantasy RPG.

Looks like it's partially based on manga, but it sounds like it could be a bit more. Just wondering what the setting and story is like.

It also looks like it will be its own system, using 2d10.

Thanks in advance.

It's a card game, kind of like Dungeoneer. It's fun, but I've only played it once. That was about a six months ago. My friend back home had it, and I haven't seen it since. I don't remember much about the setting.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
skinnydwarf said:
It's a card game, kind of like Dungeoneer. It's fun, but I've only played it once. That was about a six months ago. My friend back home had it, and I haven't seen it since. I don't remember much about the setting.

Er. . . the card game isn't the RPG. It's the Anima card game. There is also a minis game. And, of course, the RPG. All are their own products. The card game and minis are available in the US. The RPG is not (yet).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads