• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Animal companions - more HD = more size?

pvandyck

First Post
If I have an 7th level druid with a wolf companion, under the druid it says the wolf would get +4 HD (and +4 natural armor, +2 Str, +2 Dex).

Now, under the entry for wolf, it says Advancement: 3 HD (Medium); 4–6 HD (Large).

1. Does this mean the wolf becomes Large?

Then under advancing monsters, it says that when something medium goes to large, it gets +8 to Str, -2 Dex, +4 Con, +2 natural armor, -1 ac size penalty, and -1 size attack penalty

2. Does the wolf get all THIS TOO?

If yes, holy cow!

pvandyck

Lord Pendragon

First Post
pvandyck said:
Then under advancing monsters...
This section is for DMs who want to create especially nasty versions of the common creatures found in the MM. A particularly fierce Alpha Male, perhaps. Or a new race of Large wolf-like animals. It does not pertain to animal companions, special mounts, or even animal PCs.

So basically, as the others have already stated, "no."

TheGogmagog

First Post
No, there is text that specifies that animal companion advancement is different than monster manual HD advancement.

I don't have the text, but I believe it's in the druid section.
I think masters of the wild had something that could advance the HD of a non-animal companion creature, but that would be a cheesy work around your DM is sure to spot.

I also have a suspicion that the monster advancement should have been +4 for size increase instead of +8, but time keeps slipping by with no errata.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads