Animated Tower Shield Questions

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
A spellcaster can target the user of a tower shield despite the full cover it provides, because the shield is considered to be a targetable part of the opponent.

Is this still true in the case of an Animated Shield, when the defender is not touching the item?

Is an arrowslit in an Animated Tower feasible (to provide 9/10 cover to an archer while allowing him to shoot)?

Can a Hasted character using a Tower Shield in combat move his shield to provide 0 cover, make a full attack, and use his Haste Partial action to Ready an Action : if attacked, move the shield to provide full cover? Or is move-once-per-round limitation inherent to the shield, regardless of Haste or other extra-partial-action effects?

-Hyp.

reapersaurus

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Is an arrowslit in an Animated Tower feasible (to provide 9/10 cover to an archer while allowing him to shoot)?
-Hyp.
How could the archer see thru the slit from 2 paces behind the shield?
I presume you'd have a hole for the arrow, and then how does he see thru a slit when he's 4-6 feet away from the shield?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Re: Re: Animated Tower Shield Questions

I presume you'd have a hole for the arrow, and then how does he see thru a slit when he's 4-6 feet away from the shield?

Another example of 9/10 cover is "Behind a door that's slightly ajar".

Under the initial description of cover, it states "In a melee, if you have cover against an opponent, that opponent probably has cover against you. With ranged weapons, however, it's easy to have better cover than your opponent."

The hole doesn't have to be barely large enough to fit an arrow, to still provide greater than 3/4 cover... you have 3/4 cover if you're sticking your head around a corner.

-Hyp.

Edit: typo.

Last edited:

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Re: Re: Animated Tower Shield Questions

reapersaurus said:

I don't agree that a tower shield would be "4-6 feet away" (it's in your square), but I also wouldn't let an archer shoot through it - I imagine it would reposition itself constantly, stopping the archer from shooting clearly.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Re: Re: Re: Animated Tower Shield Questions

I don't agree that a tower shield would be "4-6 feet away" (it's in your square), but I also wouldn't let an archer shoot through it - I imagine it would reposition itself constantly, stopping the archer from shooting clearly.

I can see a buckler or a small shield constantly repositioning... why would a tower shield need to? It already blocks everything in front of it, and the rules prohibit its moving to intercept anything else if it's already moved once in the round...

-Hyp.

Remove ads