• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anti-Magic Characters in D&D: Possible?

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Nope but then I'm a creepy kind of guy. ;) Why else would I have been mistaken as a Goddess of the Weave? ;) *see the "Where is Midnight?!" thread. *

snowcone

First Post
Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but how well does Iron heroes mesh with standard d20 dnd? Would you have to do a lot of conversions of creatures in the monster manual or existing base classes? Would this be a good system to use in Dark Sun?

Nyaricus

First Post
snowcone said:
Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but how well does Iron heroes mesh with standard d20 dnd? Would you have to do a lot of conversions of creatures in the monster manual or existing base classes? Would this be a good system to use in Dark Sun?
Well, Iron Heroes is a system built to be *decently* compatable with D&D as-is, except there are no magic items, and no spellcasters (except the special Arcanist class, but even he casts spells at a great risk to himself).

Essentually, magical effects are presented via feats that scale up in power (so power attack does something more than just -to attack and +to damage; you can cause stunning attacks and other cool stuff too!) and characters being overall more powerful by far than core D&D classes - at first glance. But where a high-level Fighter would be decked out in how many nic-nacks, a Man-at-arms would have nothing but his trusty sword and shield he's had since first level which was passed down from his great-gran-daddy.

So, in the end, they are basically using the same baselines of power, but IH characters are more super-human than cyborg (to draw a line of comparison between IH and D&D).

Hope that helped!

ruleslawyer

As a former 3e, current Iron Heroes DM:

The PC looks good! As with IH PCs in general, he's a bit strong at 1st level, but smooths out in power at higher levels. hp, AC, and saves are right on for level.

The only thing I have qualms about are the ability scores. IH uses a much different (tougher) point buy than D&D, and IMHO without ability-boosting items, you should be entitled to the different point system, since otherwise, the ability scores you have will lag somewhat behind your fellow PCs' scores.

One other thing: Ask your DM if he'll allow you to use the IH combat challenge mechanics (specifically the defense challenges). Those are kinda important to the armiger's strategy, so it'd be good to be able to use them.

Nice job in general, though!

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Ny and Rulesy,

Thanks for the assist. :)

I like Iron Heroes but not 100% sure I want to intergrate it as much as say, AE/AU into a D&D game or d20 game. Doesn't mean I will never do it, just not 100% sure at the moment.

Nyaricus

First Post
Nightfall said:
I like Iron Heroes but not 100% sure I want to intergrate it as much as say, AE/AU into a D&D game or d20 game. Doesn't mean I will never do it, just not 100% sure at the moment.
Same way I feel, just I know how to explain IH :p

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads