• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anti-Magic Characters in D&D: Possible?

takasi

First Post
One of my players is going to run a D&D campaign using the Shackled City AP as a guide. The game is going to take place in his homebrew version of the Old World setting of Warhammer. I'm considering playing a LE Bretonnian knight that hates all forms of magic.

Originally I was going to use the new knight class, but I recently thumbed through the Book of Nine Swords and now I'm considering a warblade. Are there any good reviews of the book? Has anyone seen this class in play? Does it rely on magic? Does it match the flavor of this character concept?

Out of just the WotC books, which prestige classes can stand on their own without magic? This includes all magic items, including swords, armor, potions, etc. I heard that Iron Heroes would work well but the DM will only allow WotC books.

Have you played characters that hate magic? Can anyone provide roleplaying recommendations for situations that "require" magic in D&D, like healing and buffs?

Calculate your AC score at 1st-level. Then at 20th.

They're probably going to be the same without magic or magic items.

I don't think an AC score of 22 or so is all that impressive at 10th level, much less 20th.

Now look your saves. You can practically double your base low saves with a +5 cloak of resistance.

The Forsaker class is supposed to deal with that, but not all that well. I don't know if it's ever been converted to 3.5.

Beg your DM to use Unearthed Arcana's variant Defense rules, but get your DM to let them stack with armor. Otherwise your character will be bleeding heavily every combat.

takasi

First Post
I've read that there are maneuvers that allow you to replace your AC with an opposed attack.

Also, for roleplaying I'm thinking of having the knight use items that provide bonuses to AC, to hit and saves as long as he doesn't perceive them to be magical in nature. A wizard with detect magic would clearly see that these are magical, but the arrogant LE knight would deny it.

Are there any good items from Weapons of Legacy that would match this? I don't want the item to appear magical (flaming, bursting, etc) to someone that can't cast detect magic.

Since it's D&D the player will obviously need to be healed from a metagame perspective, but from a roleplaying perspective the character will resent it and avoid it at all costs.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
A general statement...

As the PCs tend to be very very wealthy in terms of magic relative to those they fight against, foregoing all the benefits magic tends to catastophically level the playing field to the detriment of the PC.

It gets even more dire when you consider foes that are not humanoid.

takasi

First Post
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
Those maneuvers are restricted. You can use them once per round, maybe once per encounter.

Yeah, which won't work well for a tank. I think I'll allow just flat bonuses.

I was looking at the Hammer of Witches from Weapons of Legacy. It would be great for the character but the following would need to be changed:

1.) The warhammer does not glow or grant detect magic.
2.) The requirements for divine casting (and loss of spell slots) would need to be reworked to require maneuvers. (What is the level range for maneuvers?)

I would personally prefer it to be a longsword too and call it the "Witchslayer". Do you think this would work?

Isn't there also a mage slayer PrC?

takasi said:
Yeah, which won't work well for a tank.

Wizards aren't tanks, and even they need AC.

I think I'll allow just flat bonuses.

That would probably work. How much?

I was looking at the Hammer of Witches from Weapons of Legacy. It would be great for the character but the following would need to be changed:

1.) The warhammer does not glow or grant detect magic.
2.) The requirements for divine casting (and loss of spell slots) would need to be reworked to require maneuvers. (What is the level range for maneuvers?)

I would personally prefer it to be a longsword too and call it the "Witchslayer". Do you think this would work?

Yes... but what are its benefits?

Isn't there also a mage slayer PrC?

Yes. I know little about it. I don't believe its designed to swear off magic. (Certainly you can use cleric-designed magic items.)

takasi

First Post
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
Wizards aren't tanks, and even they need AC.

True to an extent, but if I was playing a wizard I wouldn't roleplay him as anti-magic. :)

(Psi)SeveredHead said:
That would probably work. How much?

Straight bonuses. +5 AC, +5 to hit and damage, +5 to saves for the most part. And if a cleric buffs him he'll roleplay anger but will still get the benefit. No flaming icy burst swords though.

(Psi)SeveredHead said:
Yes... but what are its benefits?

You get SR (5 + your level), bane damage against spellcasters, dispel magic on successful attacks, anti-magic field and greater spell immunity (not all at once of course).

(Psi)SeveredHead said:
Yes. I know little about it. I don't believe its designed to swear off magic. (Certainly you can use cleric-designed magic items.)

Which book is it in?

Jaws

First Post
takasi said:
I heard that Iron Heroes would work well but the DM will only allow WotC books.
I find that funny considering that Mike Mearls works for WotC. He has worked on Tome of Battle: The Book of Nine Swords, Monster Manual IV, Player’s Handbook II, and also on the latest D&D miniatures set, War of the Dragon Queen to name a few.

Peace and smiles :)

j.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Jaws said:
I find that funny considering that Mike Mearls works for WotC. He has worked on Tome of Battle: The Book of Nine Swords, Monster Manual IV, Player’s Handbook II, and also on the latest D&D miniatures set, War of the Dragon Queen to name a few.

And here's the real punchline of the story -- Mike Mearls is an official R&D rules-tweaker for WotC -- it was stuff like Iron Heroes that bolstered his resumé. :)

Yeah, I mentioned this as a pet peeve a while back (DMs that are more willing to accept WotC material than 3rd party stuff just on sight-unseen) - The classes and mechanics in Iron Heroes are tailor-made for your situation, I think, as I've been told they give the same kind of bonuses over 20 levels, but without using magic for them. As long as you promised your DM a "gamer oath" not to pick up magic with that character, or that any bonuses from magic wouldn't stack with bonuses gained from the class, I wonder if he'd go for it?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads