• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anti-Magic Characters in D&D: Possible?

pedr

Explorer
Coming a little late to this, but there seems to me to be one significant drawback to this plan (and I'd be interested to know how IH deals with it). Unless I'm significantly mistaken, incorporeal creatures cannot be harmed at all unless they are hit with a magic weapon. If your character cannot carry or use at least a +1 sword, then you'll have whole fights where your tank is doing nothing (well, I guess technically you can aid another but that's not the strongest tactic!) Similarly, an incorporeal touch attack will ignore all of your armour and you will have no access to mage armour, nor to rings of protection or prot vs evil to give you force or deflection bonuses to AC.

Just something else you might have to either accept, or negotiate with your DM. I'm sure there might be others too!

ruleslawyer

To go in reverse order:

Class defense bonus in IH would not be negated by touch attacks or incorporeal touch attacks; I'd apply that to the AC bonus that this character gets as well.

Attacking incorporeal creatures is a bit trickier. IH doesn't really have the rules to handle it. The short answer is that the armiger will be reduced to using alchemist's fire or similar attacks, as well as aiding his companions, who will have to do the real heavy lifting in such encounters. The DM should probably limit the number of incorporeal encounters for just this reason.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Well no one said this was a perfect solution to the problem. But hey we can always hope he doesn't have to fight incorporeal monsters. *pauses* Yeah I was laughing in my head too when I wrote that. :p :)

Nyaricus

First Post
Nightfall said:
Well no one said this was a perfect solution to the problem. But hey we can always hope he doesn't have to fight incorporeal monsters. *pauses* Yeah I was laughing in my head too when I wrote that. :p :)
Yeah, an IH character is kinda like a square peg going into the rectangular D&D hole - it fits, but there is A LOT missing, too.

However, for what it does, it does well :)

Razz

Banned
Banned
This is a good reason why WotC needs to update the damn Forsaker PrC class already. It's been long overdue

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads