Any love for Fuzion?

riotshieldnation

First Post
Hey all,

Has anybody here ever run/played in a Fuzion campaign? In my limited experience, it seems like a homebrew crazy GURPS light with all the option point complications, but being the first RPG I ever discovered (at about age 12), I have a burning desire to actually try it out now that I have a serious group going (about 10 years later).

It's too bad that everything related to it seemed to die out about ten years ago. There's a lot of plugins and settings out there for it, including Record of Lodoss War, DBZ, Babylon 5, Wheel of Time, and even a Cthulhu knockoff.

Anyway, if you've had any experience with this system, any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Greg K

Legend
I didn't think it was a bad system. I liked the blend of Champions and Interlock and agree there was some nice stuff. However, it seemed like the majority of both Champions and Interlock demonized it on online.

My complawhich had been in the Champions 4e Big Blue Book were spread out over several C:NM supplements which felt like a money grab.

Last edited:

Crazy Jerome

First Post
Ran it briefly. Couldn't stand it. In fairness, I already was very familiar with the Hero System, and had run it for years over multiple editions. But my personal beef with Fuzion was that whatever Interlock brought to the table, Fuzion managed to retain all the stuff I disliked about Hero while excising quite a bit that I liked--a lose-lose situation for me.

nnms

First Post
Ran a post apocalyptic Mekton Zeta campaign. Worked really well. There are still lots of people who use it as a basis for mecha miniature gaming with a story slant as they play.

The best Fuzion game was Shards of the Stone. Champion:New Millenium was trying to keep all the Champions legacy without trying to have its own voice. Never a good choice.

Of course, I'm biased. One of my friends wrote a "plug-in" to give Fuzion a Champions-esque flexibility that I helped edit and parts of that were pulled into Shards.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
For me, Fuzion tried to remake a game system whose mechanics I prefer above all others, and I saw nothing that was an improvement. It was as if someone said to me:

"Here, I have made you a Sundae, just the way you like it- vanilla ice cream, maraschino cherries, a whole bunch of pecans, and a nice drizzle of chocolate syrup...but I replaced the syrup with roast beef a jus and added some es cargot. Tabasco?"

(I love all those things, but not together.)

Chapions- now called HERO- wasn't perfect. What it needed were tweaks, not what Fuzion delivered.

Remove ads