Any Two Things Sound Alike if You're Vague Enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zamkaizer

First Post
Many people have said that the 5% of 4th Ed. we've seen reminds them of "MMORPGS" or "anime". These people are wrong. 4th Ed. is clearly modeled after Halo.

"That's stupid," you say. "You're probably stupid as well," you say. Well, unbeliever, watch as the glaring light of truth casts off the pall of deception that the capitalistic pigs at Hasbro have shrouded your eyes with. Here are only a few similarities between the world's most successful FPS, and the next iteration of the world's most successful RPG:

- In 4th Ed., when not in combat, you regain tactical assets. You know, just like how your energy shields recharge in Halo? You could have at least tried to hide it a little, Hasbro, or were you two busy choking toddlers with your toys to care?

- In 4th Ed., every monster possesses a tactical role, like "brute" or "elite". They didn't even try to hide this little "homage." This is just another case of Hasbro taking even more power away from the DM

- In 4th Ed., players will fill one of four party roles. Where else have I seen the number 'four'? Oh yeah, that's right: four-player cooperative play on Halo 3. Yet another example of Hasbro making changes for changes' sake.

-In 4th Ed., most monsters will have one or two special abilities, instead of ten, like in 3rd. Ed. In Halo, most enemies have zero special abilities. Which number are the numbers one and two closer to: zero or ten? Yeah, I know one thing I'll be houseruling at my gametable.

- In a 4th Ed. playtest, the testers cut the anchor Castle Smoulderthorn (probably with an energy sword), sending it floating into space - you know, the same place most Halo happens in. Hasbro better keep it's filthy "Expanses of Vacuum" campaign setting away from mine.

As you can see, they might as well call 4th Ed. the "Halo RPG". I for one won't be upgrading to the new edition. When I purchased 500 3rd Ed. books - many of them redundant copies of the same sourcebook - I was voting with my dollar and telling Hasbro that I supported them for not releasing 4th Ed, but then they just stabbed me in the back. Hasbro - or should I say HasBLOW - clearly doesn't have my best interest at heart. Therefore, in the meantime, I'll be to sure to condescend to everyone expressing interest in 4th Ed. and will be patiently waiting for the day the Hasbro secret police arrive at my house to immolate my 3rd. Ed. library. Have fun with your Master Chiefs. Idiots.

BadMojo

First Post
You do know what's going to happen to this thread, right?

Look at the top of the page. There's a stickied thread about "no more satire/misinformation threads".

For what it's worth, there's a more direct correlation in your last example. There was a bit in Halo 2 where the Arbiter used an energy sword to drop part of a large station suspended in high atmosphere. Crazy alien. I love that guy.

Last edited:

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
But somewhat seriously related to the point of this post, I DO see that a lot of people are reading into 4e whatever they WANT to see, whether good or bad.

I mean, we see: "Monsters are not made using the same rules as players and stat blocks are shorter" and some people say "Great, we won't know the strength of enemies again, the same as 1st edition. We don't know what effect buffs will have on enemies so no one can charm them or have a monster as an NPC accompanying a party around." and some people say "Great, we'll have all the same information as in 3rd edition but in a more compact format that's easier to read and doesn't suffer from the hitdice problem where a stupid creature has 80 skill points simply because of their hit dice."

When technically, we know neither of those conclusions. But each person reads into it what they want.

The same thing has happened with every piece of information they release:
-Per Encounter resources for all classes = "ruining the operational play" vs "fixing the 15 minute adventuring day"
-Wizard implements = "creating more cool story" vs "forcing players to rely on items more"
-Changes to the planes = "giving PCs more places to adventure" vs "changing things that didn't need to be changed"
-Fighters get maneuvers = "anime intruding on D&D" vs "Cool things for fighters to do"

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Hmm... for the "satire/misinformation bit" - that's a post containing a bit of satire, but in fact, it addresses a very valid point: That many people see, whatever they want to see. And the reason, why some people dislike 4E - because they want to dislike it, regardless of the reasons.

Personally, I wonder, why nobody has tried to haul out the CCG/Magic route:
Zamkaizer said:
- In 4th Ed., when not in combat, you regain tactical assets.
Just like in MtG, you regain mana every turn... and life between every game!
Zamkaizer said:
- In 4th Ed., every monster possesses a tactical role, like "brute" or "elite".
Just like people in MtG use critters usually to be 1) aggressive, 2) to defend, 3) to control the battlefield, or 4) to improve your own chances using their abilities.
Zamkaizer said:
-In 4th Ed., most monsters will have one or two special abilities...
Just like in many CCGs! And they're making our monsters collectible through the MMs and the miniatures line!

Okay, that was nasty, and I don't really believe that. Still, using the things we know, we could compare 4E to MMORPGs, CCGs, FPSs, or anime - and find similarities everywhere. And the same happens, if we look for similarities with more fairy tales:

-> Less magical items: Usually, fairy tale heroes only have one powerful items - artefacts, usually, not mass-produced stuff.
-> Mages using magical implements: Well, that's a standard fairy tale trope. Like in Snow White! (the mirror)
-> Monsters with unique and strange abilities: Very expected from fairy tale creatures.
-> Faerie Realms and the Realm of Dead: That's a mythical image, that's very prevalent in as many fairy tales.

=> OMG, my D&D turns into a old-fashioned fairytale game!

Sorry, I couldn't resist. But I think that makes the point even clearer: With our information now, we could link 4E to almost everything game- or fantasy-inspired.

Cheers, LT.

Xyl

First Post
Majoru Oakheart said:
-Fighters get maneuvers = "anime intruding on D&D" vs "Cool things for fighters to do"
This one makes me sad. They had a great opportunity to add anime to D&D, but they passed it up and just gave stupid fighters more stuff instead. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads