Any video course that teaches you how to role-play?

chongjasmine

Explorer
I just applied for my first game, but it is my dream to be a GM or DM one day.
I will like to know if there are any video or book courses I can take that will allow me to achieve my aim one day/
Any course on how to be a player?
Any course on how to be a GM?
Any youtube videos you recommend I watch?
Thanks. I don't mind paying for a good video course on how to be a player or GM.

Derangeddawg

Villager
I will like to know if there are any video or book courses I can take that will allow me to achieve my aim one day/
Thanks. I don't mind paying for a good video course on how to be a player or GM.
Matt Colville's running the game series is some of the best advice out there.

Derangeddawg

Villager
Matt Colville's running the game series is some of the best advice out there!

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I think how to GM is largely about learning the rules and how to apply them. For how to role play you might learn a bit from watching recorded games. While learning to GM the rules is something books and videos can teach you, I think role playing is something you gotta learn by doing. A lot of folks have different approaches, there isnt a specific right way to do it.

If you want a little of coulmn A and a little of column B in one go, I like the Traveller series by Seth Skorkowski.

mamba

Legend
I agree, as far as videos go, I’d say Matt and just some live play in general to round it out. Maybe some SlyFlourish session prep videos too

Definitely learn the rules as well ;)

imo actually DMing, asking for feedback and some critical self analysis about what went well, what could have gone better and where you made mistakes helps more than watching 50 videos though

DrunkonDuty

he/him
I fully support his Matt Mercer advice: don't try to be Matt Mercer.

Well obviously. You'd have to forget 99% of the adjectives you know to be Matt Mercer.

You'd also have to be a kinda combative GM, write hackneyed plots, and call for loads of unnecessary dice rolling.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
You'd also have to be a kinda combative GM, write hackneyed plots, and call for loads of unnecessary dice rolling.
What the OP could take from this is:

Do not be a combative GM. You're there to collaborate, not win.

Do not write plots, write situations. If you want to write a story, go write a novel. Whatever story we get from an RPG should emerge naturally from the GM's prep, the players' choices, and the roll of the dice.

Do not call for unnecessary rolls. Making the players roll repeatedly for the same thing only guarantees they'll fail. Make fewer rolls with more importance. Things like "let it ride" and "fail forward" are much better tools. Let it ride means to roll once and keep using that result until the situation substantially changes. Fail forward means something always happens as a result of a roll, either success or consequences, the "nothing happens" result is completely removed from play...something always happens that moves the story forward.

Remove ads