• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anymore "Return to . . ." adventures coming out from WotC?

JeffB

Legend
johnsemlak said:
There was also 'Slavers', essentially a 'return to' module for the A1-4 series.

As well as Return to White Plume Mountain.

Unfortunately, IMO the only "Return to" title worh owning from TSR & WOTC was Tomb of Horrors. Slavers, Geoff, Borderlands, Elemental Evil...gads..I thought they were all horrible. WPM, was passable.

Honestly, I don't trust WOTC to make good modules anymore. It's pretty clear (at least IMO) with The Adventure Path mods, that all the adventure writing talent left long, long ago.

And then WOTC complains that modules "don't sell"...of course they won't sell if you make a poor product. Necro, Kenzer, FDP, and a few others know how to write mods...maybe WOTC should subcontract out? :p :D

Perhaps though with some fresh ideas and new talent in Keith Baker, the Eberron mods will break the adventure writing rut WOTC/TSR has been in for the last 10 years.

Sorry for the mild rant.

johnsemlak

First Post
JeffB said:
As well as Return to White Plume Mountain.

Unfortunately, IMO the only "Return to" title worh owning from TSR & WOTC was Tomb of Horrors. Slavers, Geoff, Borderlands, Elemental Evil...gads..I thought they were all horrible. WPM, was passable.

Honestly, I don't trust WOTC to make good modules anymore. It's pretty clear (at least IMO) with The Adventure Path mods, that all the adventure writing talent left long, long ago.

And then WOTC complains that modules "don't sell"...of course they won't sell if you make a poor product. Necro, Kenzer, FDP, and a few others know how to write mods...maybe WOTC should subcontract out? :p :D

Perhaps though with some fresh ideas and new talent in Keith Baker, the Eberron mods will break the adventure writing rut WOTC/TSR has been in for the last 10 years.

Sorry for the mild rant.

A bit harsh, eh :)

Modules from Necro, KenzerCo, Fiery Dragon etc. do sell well, but not at the numbers WotC needs to be viable. Those are much smaller companies with smaller overheads.

And I don't think RtWPM is the only good one in the 'Return' series. I've heard GREAT things about Return..Tomb of Horrors and it is the subject of some nice story hours. RttToEE will be loved and hated by different people but it certainly has been played extensively (see Monte Cook's board for evidence).

JeffB

Legend
johnsemlak said:
A bit harsh, eh :)

A little, hence my apology for the harshness :D This is one of my pet-peeves about WOTC so I tend to get aggravated.

Modules from Necro, KenzerCo, Fiery Dragon etc. do sell well, but not at the numbers WotC needs to be viable. Those are much smaller companies with smaller overheads.
I understand the business logic, however I do feel WOTC having a better quality line of modules could at least make a few nice extra pennies instead of losing their butt on each one ;)

And I don't think RtWPM is the only good one in the 'Return' series. I've heard GREAT things about Return..Tomb of Horrors and it is the subject of some nice story hours. RttToEE will be loved and hated by different people but it certainly has been played extensively (see Monte Cook's board for evidence).

Actually I did say TOH was the best, and a good product, IMO. WPM was just OK in my book. ToEE is an abomination in my mind :D ..not neccessarily because the original was the be-all end-all, but because of the lack of continuity re: established GH canon and deviation from GH "themes" (I did a review here at ENWorld ages ago that better explains my position re: RttToEE, as I don't wish to go way off track with this thread :)).

johnsemlak

First Post
JeffB said:
A little, hence my apology for the harshness :D This is one of my pet-peeves about WOTC so I tend to get aggravated.

I understand the business logic, however I do feel WOTC having a better quality line of modules could at least make a few nice extra pennies instead of losing their butt on each one ;)

Actually I did say TOH was the best, and a good product, IMO. WPM was just OK in my book. ToEE is an abomination in my mind :D ..not neccessarily because the original was the be-all end-all, but because of the lack of continuity re: established GH canon and deviation from GH "themes" (I did a review here at ENWorld ages ago that better explains my position re: RttToEE, as I don't wish to go way off track with this thread :)).
[QUOTE-JeffB]Actually I did say TOH was the best, and a good product, IMO. WPM was just OK in my book. ToEE is an abomination in my mind ..not neccessarily because the original was the be-all end-all, but because of the lack of continuity re: established GH canon and deviation from GH "themes" (I did a review here at ENWorld ages ago that better explains my position re: RttToEE, as I don't wish to go way off track with this thread ).[/QUOTE]

Ah, sorry, you did mention RttToH.

qstor

Adventurer
I'd like to see a "Return to.." adventure. Too bad it won't come out in time for the 30th anniversary.

Mike

dragonsworn

First Post
Dungeon #112 features an adventure on "Maure Castle" revisited. This is a special 30th anniversary write-up. I never played the original module, but at first glance this adventure appears to be well written.

qstor

Adventurer
dead said:
Let's see . . . you could have:

Return to the Barrier Peaks
Return to the Lost Caverns of Tsjocanth
Return to the Dwellers of the Forbidden City
Return to the Ghost Tower of Inverness

Last year at GenCon there was a Ghost Tower adventure for the RPGA Living Greyhawk. I'd like to see it in print.

A return to the Lost Caverns of Tsjocanth would be great too.

Mike

the Jester

Legend
I thirst for a 'Return to the Barrier Peaks' like no other module. The very thought brings the saliva out in huge quantities in my mouth. Robots, radiation and intellect devourers, oh my!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads