Anyone check out Radiance RPG yet?

AncientSpirits

First Post
I'm presently in Japan. Just finished the work portion of my trip and now off to enjoy meeting old friends and sightseeing: After 23 years since I lived here, it's fun seeing it with new eyes. :)

VanceMadrox

First Post
Thanks.

Most of the questions I have are merely regarding design decisions, not necessarily about how things work.

One question I do have is regarding Rogues.

Looking through combat I don't see anything akin to flanking from 3.5/Pathfinder so it looks like the only way for Rogues to get sneak attack is against surprised/helpless opponents. Feint doesn't even seem like it will let them get it. Am I missing something?

If not the combat potential of the Rogue class seems much lower than in other d20 iterations.

AncientSpirits

First Post
One question I do have is regarding Rogues.

Looking through combat I don't see anything akin to flanking from 3.5/Pathfinder so it looks like the only way for Rogues to get sneak attack is against surprised/helpless opponents. Feint doesn't even seem like it will let them get it. Am I missing something?

If not the combat potential of the Rogue class seems much lower than in other d20 iterations.

Sneak attack works against dazed foes too, and using the dazed with first wound damage rule, that is useful.

The Radiance rogue functions more like the sly scout of 1st edition than a combat striker of 4th. A Radiance will surely have +9 or better on Stealth checks from early on and will be handy with a range of other skills in all environments.

VanceMadrox

First Post
I had missed the part about Daze so that helps a little combat wise. A very reasonable explanantion though.

I have more questions but I won't bug you while you're in japan, you should be out enjoying yourself!

AncientSpirits

First Post
Back home after quite a bit of traveling the past 2 months...

PREVIEW of the SAMURAI class...
https://www.facebook.com/RadianceRpg

Background & Adventures
Samurai are disciplined warriors who specialize in the rapid, deadly use of prized masterwork weapons that they typically inherit—literally and spiritually—from an ancestor, mentor or order.
A samurai focuses on specific weapon styles, namely 2-weapon fighting with the bastard sword and short sword, and also the bow—notably while riding—plus axes and polearms. He wields what fits the situation with incredible swiftness and vorpal efficiency.
Due to their inheritance, samurai tend to hew to an order or serve under a patron. They prize loyalty and will fight honorably, even unto to death. Other samurai follow their own code, sell their services, act as lone wolves, or follow a supernatural inner voice.
Samurai often work with other warriors, particularly fighters, monks, and paladins. They grant shamans leeway for their supernatural link and respect anyone—even foes—who act honorably.

Class Details
Samurai have the following statistics.
———————————————————
Prime Attribute: Strength.
Attack: d20 + ½ class level + Strength modifier.
Defenses: Fortitude +2, Reflex +2, Will +2.
———————————————————
Armor: All Light and Medium armors such as lamellar and the buckler shield.
Weapons: Unarmed strike plus all bows, light blades, heavy blades, axes, and polearms.
Starting Gold: 5d6 x 10 (150 gp).
———————————————————
Alignment: Any (but see below).
Special: You must identify with an order. The order’s name, cause, and details are decided by you and the GM. You must be nonchaotic and support the order’s cause. Otherwise, you are “outcast” and cannot advance levels until you submit to a 10-minute scarring punishment and pay 50 gp per level to your order.
Training: 2d4 years.
———————————————————

Core Abilities
Samurai start with the following abilities at 1st level.
Ancestral Weapon(M): You start with a masterwork melee weapon of your choice such as a bastard sword. The weapon is inscribed with your name and decorated with motifs of your ancestors or order. Replacing the weapon costs 325 gp and requires a 10-minute ritual to activate. Once activated, in your hands only, the weapon counts as magical, grants +2 on attack rolls and +3 damage (these modifiers include masterwork bonuses), and functions as 1 grade lighter for the purpose of using Two-Weapon Fighting.
Samurai Skills: You enjoy a +2 bonus on Athletics, Endurance, Perception, Nobility, and Warcraft checks.
Two-Weapon Fighting: When armed with 2 Light melee weapons, or 1 Medium weapon and 1 Light weapon, you may make 2 melee attacks as a standard action, each with a -2 penalty to your attack roll. If you have the Sneak Attack ability, you can apply it to both weapons. Requires Strength 15+.

Want to see the rest? Visit:
https://www.facebook.com/RadianceRpg

Comments, questions, and suggestions welcome.

AncientSpirits

First Post
This optional rule is not UNofficial. It is still in play-test.

RE-VITALIZE with DRAMA points
*** Optional Rule ***

Want more vitality? In Radiance RPG, characters and creatures have a daily allotment of vitality points. Now imagine, everyone can earn a few extra vitality points that last for just an encounter.
At the start of each combat encounter (when "in rounds"), PCs start with 0 temporary vitality points.

Up the 3x while in rounds, a PC can earn temporary vitality by spending a move action to do 1 of 6 dramatic actions:
1. Pray to deity
2. Curse or taunt foes
3. Display a flourish with one's weapon or magic (no vitality cost and no effect)
4. Make a romantic or friendship gesture to an ally
5. Swear an oath (such as defeat a foe)
6. Other dramatic action (no vitality cost and no effect)
The number of points gained equals 1/4 the PC's level (round up). For example, a 1st level PC earns 1 point while a 4th-level PC earns 2 points.
A PC can use each dramatic action above only once per encounter, and the action works only if an ally or foe can see or hear the drama. The temporary vitality lasts while the PC remains in round or for 2 minutes passes, whichever is longer. When the effect ends, any unused temporary vitality points are lost.

Like PCs, NPCs including monsters can spend a move action to gain temporary vitality points.

The goal is to encounter dramatic action (social role-play within combat) while also assisting PCs with more opportunities for survival. What are your thoughts?

Remove ads