• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone else here into bizarre cult movies?

Faerl'Elghinn

First Post
Conaill said:
If "completely insane but beautifully presented" is your schtick... definitely check out some of Peter Greenaway's movies. The guy makes outrageously beautiful movies, often with each scene almost looking like a still-life painting.

Drowning by Numbers
The Pillow Book (just remembered that one - gorgeous!)
The Cook, the Thief, his Wife, and her Lover (great title! :D)

Cool. I'll have to check them out. Other people have suggested him as well, so I guess he's now on my "to rent in the immediate future" list. Thanks. ;)

On a side note, A&E recently premiered an original movie called Riverman about Ted Bundy's involvement in the Green River Killer case. Cary Elwes does an absolutely phenomenal job of portraying the illustrious psychopath, and I definitely recommend this film to anyone intrigued by the twisted psyche of the serial killer.

Last edited:

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
Oh, I almost forgot, CRASH with James Spader, Holly Hunter...this is these most strangest movie ever in my collection.

But Diner is funnnieeeee:lol:

Faerl'Elghinn

First Post
Truth Seeker said:
Oh, I almost forgot, CRASH with James Spader, Holly Hunter...this is these most strangest movie ever in my collection.

Seen it. Own it. Thanks. ;) A very bizarre fetish, I must say...

Another movie which might bear mention here is The Crying Game. Pretty strange, and Forest Whitaker really shows some acting talent. My wife insists that I mention Jim Jarmusch, who springs to mind, as he directed a movie called Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai, also starring Forest Whitaker. He also directed an excellent offbeat black and white western called Dead Man with Johnny Depp. Anyway, I feel that his works are more accurately described as "art films" than "cult films", but you can't tell a woman anything... *shrugs*

:heh:

Last edited:

Cymex666

First Post
I've seen just about everything listed in the earlier posts and one movie that still sticks with me is entitled, eXistenZ.

It stars Jennifer Jason Leigh, Jude Law and Willem Dafoe.

Quote from video box: "During the first closed-door demonstration of an amazing new virtual reality game- called eXistenZ- the system's brilliant designer, Allegra Geller (Leigh), is violently attacked by a crazed assassin intent on killing her and destroying her creation".

The gross-out factor in this film is pretty high, especially in a scene where the heroes must sift through disgusting fish guts to procure an item they're looking for.

I recommend this film highly :)

Faerl'Elghinn

First Post
Cymex666 said:
I've seen just about everything listed in the earlier posts and one movie that still sticks with me is entitled, eXistenZ.
Yep. If it's Cronenberg, I've seen it. It wasn't quite Naked Lunch, but I definitely enjoyed it. Wasn't Jude Law in that? Edit: duh... should've read your post more carefully. I can't remember- it's been a while. Also check out Dead Ringers (based on a true story). David Cronenberg also made an appearance in Clive Barker's Night Breed.

Last edited:

Feldspar

Explorer
Truth Seeker said:
As I understand it, that movie is based on a book (of the same name) by JG Ballard whose childhood experiences of spending WWII in a Japanese prisoner of war camp was made into the movie "Empire of the Sun" by Spielberg.

My favorite cult movie of all time has to be Repo Man. I remember catching a new joke I'd never noticed before on the 15th viewing.

Another film with great music I've been watching a lot lately is 24 Hour Party People.

For foreign films, I usually enjoy the work of Wim Wenders, especially Paris, Texas and Until the End of the World.

Interestingly enough, all four of those films have something in common. They were all shot by Robby Mueller. Coincidence?

I tend to like "road movies," as evidenced by the Wenders films above, and the ultimate in that regard is probably Two-Lane Blacktop

There's sort of a subgenre in horror with vampire movies that add in a bit of camp and sex. The Lair of the White Worm (Hugh Grant's first movie) and Lifeforce are good examples.

Oh, almost forgot about Big Trouble in Little China and The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension which were both written by the same guy.

So many good films out there ...

edit: how could I have forgotten about Dogtown and Z-Boys

Last edited:

Faerl'Elghinn

First Post
Faerl'Elghinn said:
Yeah. It sucks. Some people think it sucks so bad it's funny. I think it sucks so bad it sucks. There was another movie in the same vein by that Brian Whatzizhoozit that I remember as not being too bad, though.
Richard O'Brien was who I meant, and the movie was Shock Treatment...

Last edited:

Feldspar

Explorer
Faerl'Elghinn said:
Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai and Dead Man

Two more films shot Robby Mueller :) After Wenders, Jarmusch is probably the director he's worked the most with (Down by Law, Coffee and Cigarettes).

Faerl'Elghinn

First Post
Another notable director is Gregg Araki, who directed The Doom Generation and its offspring. Definitely worth a look-see. One of the male stars of The Doom Generation also made an appearance in an excellent movie called Donnie Darko, a film which has a very cultish feel to it, and one which I enjoyed quite a bit. The female lead is played by none other than Marilyn Manson's (at least one-time) counterpart, Rose McGowan.

Last edited:

Remove ads