Pathfinder 1E Anyone else underwhelmed by the RPGSS entries?

Systole

First Post
I originally made it for a player in one of my games and he loved the thing. Oddly, he especially loved it when he was facing things like fire elementals, I think because he liked gambling whether he was going to do extra damage, some damage, or no damage. He got it at level 4 and was still using it at level 10 or 11 when the game broke up due to RL issues.

SteelDraco

First Post
I found the archetypes round much more enjoyable than the wondrous items. Some of them weren't that original (there were what, five drowning-focused archetypes and eight or so with "river" in the name). Still, lots of cool things - I was especially fond of the Huckster alchemist that gives out temporary hit points and temporary condition removal as "cures". Cool flavor-wise in that he's conning people instead of giving them real healing, but still very useful effects for an adventuring party.

BriarMonkey

First Post
After having read through the top 32, I have to wonder why is it that people feel they have to add a sacks worth of fiddly bits to everything? Why does something have to do this - and that and that and that? Feh.

I too was pretty underwhelmed at most of the chosen items.

Systole

First Post
There were a couple archetypes I liked. Huckster was one. Everbloom Monk was way cool, too. There were a few that tried to do neat mechanics but fell a bit short.

The judges' comments drove me nuts. It seemed like half the time, it was something along the lines of, 'The archetype seems too focused on the River Kingdoms.' Oh, the River Kingdoms that you said the archetypes should be focused on? I've had bosses like that. Never fails to drive me berserk.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Wasn't impressed with the judges either, for the same reason. Comments like that also make me to never want to participate. If you can't be sure what it's being judged on, it doesn't have much appeal.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
I originally made it for a player in one of my games and he loved the thing.

My archer is level 5 and got it approved. A PC in my main campaign is around lvl 15 now and still has a use for it. :cool: It was just the kind of thing for him to get.

Systole

First Post
I'm flattered that my item is finding some use. Hope you enjoy it.

With regard to the contest, I finally realized that the judges who I took issue with mostly amounted to one guy: SKR. I have occasional quibbles and differences of opinions with the other judges, but about 3/4 of the time I read an SKR post, I end up yelling "ARGH! YOU PINHEAD!" after the first paragraph. Wasn't he the guy who thought that Death or Glory and the Vow of Poverty monk were way cool?

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Yeah now that you point that out :devil: I am not good with names and nicks, but sounds about right. Different tastes, I guess, but playability should overrule taste at times. There a lot of items and sometimes self made classes I throw at my players, but usually they are only usable in that specific campaign and situation. Or even just one PC. They may be "way cool" but generally unplayable. The Towel of Invisibility and the Mask of the Murderer come to mind hehe.

Remove ads