D&D General Anyone ever run (or played in) a campaign with entire party (or almost) was a single class?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I ran a 2e campaign with 2 players who were both invokers, that was a fun though it was a brief campaign. I think we started at level 9 though rather than working our way up from 1st. We did at some point add a couple of henchmen, a fighter and a cleric. Most memorable moment was when one invoker summoned up a wall of fire and caught the other invokers genie in it killing them. May have also caught the other invoker in it.

the Jester

Legend
One of the groups I am currently running includes two druids (different subclasses), one druid/ranger, one monk, and one barbarian, so about half druids. So far, it's going very well- each of the druids plays very differently and takes up a different party role. One is the party crocodile (wild shape), one eats the hearts of their enemies, and the druid/ranger, oddly, is the main party healer.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
One of the groups I am currently running includes two druids (different subclasses), one druid/ranger, one monk, and one barbarian, so about half druids. So far, it's going very well- each of the druids plays very differently and takes up a different party role. One is the party crocodile (wild shape), one eats the hearts of their enemies, and the druid/ranger, oddly, is the main party healer.
Do they ever get into situations that they can't handle?

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Everyone had 2 levels of Moon Druid and were required to be bears. They could cast in bear form and it was permanent. I don't know why we didn't just play awakened bears, but it is what it is.

The campaign name was Bear Necessities.
If this wasn't a joke, then I have to ask - what was the in-fiction reason they were all bears?

Coroc

Hero
The biggest downside of that era is that I have been "chasing the dragon" ever since trying to recapture lightning in a bottle of a similar experience. It was a perfect combination of...

-A grounded main story by the GM to keep us mainly at home instead of globetrotting.

-Enough side plots and mini systems incorporated to keep the temple day to day interesting.

-All 4 players contributing to the story...by write ups, designing buildings, NPCs, or even entire rules subsystems to do the things they were interested in (like a system to make a weekly series of rolls to determine our market share of the temple going crowd).

-Player buy in to create interparty conflict but only in the interest of good story.

One example is the two clerics having an hour long IRL discussion on Torms opinions on putting goblin heads on spikes as a warning to other goblins. This spun out into us exploring two radically different dogmas of thought in the same church. Another subplot later in the campaign was the efforts of two shady characters working for the thives guild taking advantage of my paladins short temper to try to "turn him" into working for their guild instead of against it by putting him in circumstances that forced him to "work their way" as a solution.

A further interesting part of the campaign was that it survived the 3.5 to 4e change , taking place in both systems with minimal interruptions....mostly just making some PCs into NPCs and vice versa.

Yes, you describe it yourself: This adventure might have been glorious even if not all of the party were Torm associates.

And I think that would be the main challenge for a group with many or all players having the same class, to find some adventure supporting that composition.

Olrox17

Hero
Actually, yes, back in 3.0. We were all 13th year olds, our very first DnD game. I was the DM.
Every single player (five or six kids) played a human fighter, with the exception of one elf fighter. Named Legolas, of course.
Turned out, nobody bothered to read the spell casting section.

Shiroiken

Legend
While I wasn't directly involved, during the playtest for 5E our FLGS had three groups of us running games at the same time. One group was 5 wizards and a barbarian (the barbarian player joined late), with the concept being that one of the wizard was the professor of a class of four. It was surprisingly effective, even before the barbarian joined the game.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases