D&D 5E Anyone have a problem maneuvering their Rune Knight when large?

ECMO3

Hero
I am playing a Human Rune Knight with a 1-level Rogue dip and when I've used Giants might I find her consistently getting stuck, getting in other party members' way or in situations I can't easily get to the bad guy. She is currently level 4 (1Rogue/3RK), so I have not done this with her a bunch, but it has been a hassle every time. Also RAW the Giant's might can't be ended early like most similar abilities such as bladesong or rage.

For folks who have played RK, is this a persistent problem for the subclass in your experience?

I am considering delaying my first ASI until level 7 (1/6) and taking Fey Touched feat at next level to enable a workaround for this with misty step (albeit once a day). The character has an odd intelligence and this feat was always in the cards but probably not until level 9 after Strength was maxed.

Last edited:

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
My rune knight is bulky, but I consider it carry-on.
ace ventura pets GIF

ECMO3

Hero
This is why WotC don't have large PCs!

Only using the ability when there is sufficient space is a useful guideline, but your experience may vary depending on how your DM handles character moving through allied character's spaces.
My DM is RAW, so on one hand I can occupy the same space as the Goblin and halfling in the party, which is good. On the other hand it is difficult terrain to move through anyone which means I am constantly in difficult terrain and so are my allies.

jgsugden

Legend
This is a problem that changes dramatically from campaign to campaign based upon DM style. If most of your combats take place outdoors, or in giant rooms, this is far less of a problem than combats that take place in small corridors, areas with movement blocking obstacles, or with large enemy armies.

Talk to your DM about your frustration and ask their advice. Often, a DM may fudge some of their deisgn approach to give your abilities more use.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Alright, alright. On a slightly more helpful note, 5E doesn't require grid usage. RAI, it does. But since everyone keeps mentioning RAW, skip the grid, and it'll be much harder for rules lawyers to say, "hey! You can't fit there!"

NotAYakk

Legend
Squeezing is a thing (2x move costs). Sharing space with 2 sizes smaller is a thing. Moving through allies is a thing (difficult terrain).

Only while squeezing are you at disadvantage. So the "only" hard part is getting into a position at the end of your turn, and having enough movement to reach it.

You can even stand behind your allies, move to overlap them, attack, then move back (risking an OA).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases