Anyone have satellite instead of cable?

IronWolf

blank
Satellite is the only choice where I live. We started with Dish, had awful experiences with them and switched to DirecTV. We've been very happy with them. We do have the dual tuner Tivo that they provide.

buzzard

First Post
I'm a Dish customer and have been for a number of years now. I'm not sure they're any better than DirectTV, but they are certainly worlds better than cable. When Dish had a rate increase a while back, I took a look at cable and was dumbfounded at the ridiculous rates. I have a pretty high end package nowadays, but if you don't want to go crazy, you can get some pretty reasonable packages from Dish. My picture quality is quite nice, and I almost never get outages. Their customer support often leaves a bit to be desired (ordering Center Ice was a bear last year) either in terms of having a clue, or being pushy(they automatically re-signed me up for Center Ice this year, and I would have been charged unless I went to the trouble of opting out).

buzzard

Byrons_Ghost

First Post
Thanks for everyone's input!

I should have mentioned, this is for TV, not internet. I have DSL through my phone company, and it's much cheaper than any cable options I've seen, and also more stable. I do live in an apartment building, I'm not sure if that will be an issue or not. I'm on the ground floor, and there's only two stories, so I wouldn't think that installation would be a problem. Kids with fireworks, OTOH...

It sounds like people's experiences have been much more positive with DirecTV than with DISH, and the lack of starting cost is nice. Oddly enough, I found a stack of Dish coupons out at my workplace today, offering various deals. But I've also seen in the past that companys which constantly have these sorts of offers, do so because they have such a high customer turnover rate (Dell computers, anyone? :p )

Harmon- I'm curious what set off the problems with the move (since I might be doing that, eventually). Was it that Dish didn't want to transfer the equipment, or was your mother trying to switch over to cable and having problems getting out of the contract?

JRRNeiklot

First Post
I've had Dish Network for about a year, and I'm happy with it. Had one receiver go out, they replaced it in less than a week. I do think Direct TV has a better channel lineup, but Dish was cheaper, so I went with it. I basicly watch History, Discovery, Animal Planet and ESPN anyway, so a better lineup wouldn't affect me much. MLB Extra Innings is worth the price alone, imo.

glass

(he, him)
Interestingly, on my side of the pond, satelite is (probably) the default choice for 'premium' TV, rather than cable. Although I wouldn't say the disparity was as great as it seems to be over there.

Anyway, I am also considering getting satelite (I live in a flat, so I'm pretty sure I can't get cable). The good news is the basic box is free (although I would almost certainly pay the extra for the built-in PVR option, and I am trying to decide if I can justify HD).

Depending on package, Sky is £15-40 per month (which is about US$29-76). How much are the various US satelite options, out of curiosity.

glass.

buzzard

First Post
glass said:
Depending on package, Sky is £15-40 per month (which is about US$29-76). How much are the various US satelite options, out of curiosity.

glass.

That's roughly comparable. If you add a bunch of movie channels to it, you can get higher than your high end. The low end is about right (I think Dish might have a cheapo package for around $20/mo). I pay around $70/mo for a higher end package than I need with a HD/DVR setup. I used to spend around $37 for a package that had plenty of channels, without the DH or DVR stuff. There just happened to be a couple channels I wanted a good bit so I ponied up. Considering I spend more time on those channels than most others now that I have them, I don't think it was that bad a deal.

Byrons_Ghost

First Post
JRRNeiklot said:
I've had Dish Network for about a year, and I'm happy with it. Had one receiver go out, they replaced it in less than a week. I do think Direct TV has a better channel lineup, but Dish was cheaper, so I went with it. I basicly watch History, Discovery, Animal Planet and ESPN anyway, so a better lineup wouldn't affect me much. MLB Extra Innings is worth the price alone, imo.

What kind of start up costs did you have with Dish Network? Any service complaints?

Byrons_Ghost said:
Thanks for everyone's input!

I should have mentioned, this is for TV, not internet. I have DSL through my phone company, and it's much cheaper than any cable options I've seen, and also more stable. I do live in an apartment building, I'm not sure if that will be an issue or not. I'm on the ground floor, and there's only two stories, so I wouldn't think that installation would be a problem. Kids with fireworks, OTOH...

Greetings Fellow Columbian!

I have Dish Network. Got it through Hunt's Communications in Warrensburg (The Ad was in the Columbia Yellow Pages). We got all of your equipment for free, but we had to sign a 2 year agreement (as we own our house, our chance of moving in the remaining 6 months of the agreement is nil).

We recently had some problems, but we eventually got it resolved.

What do you have now?

If you have Mediacom, I found them to be pretty good, esp the High Speed Internet. Pretty close to Dish in many ways (But that has been well over a year ago).

If you have Charter....

Drop them. They are trully one of the worst companies I have EVER dealt with, in any industry. If you measure Costumer Service, Quality, and Value each on a scale of 1-100, Charter maight get a 3, Total.

To Repeat. If you have Charter DROP THEM AT ALL COST. I'd go without TV, Internet, Clothes, Food, Shelter, than have to deal with those SOB's ever again.

While it comes down to a choice similar to "What Blunt Trauma to the Groin would you Prefer?" Charter is the Rocket-Powered Anvil of Destruction, as opposed to the Ball-Bats of Satellite and Cable.

Dish seems to be the Better deal in the Columbia Area (I see a lot more Dish than DirectTV).

If you go with Sat, shop Around, a lot of independant dealers have all sorts of deals from free equipment, to Upgrades, to X months free.

I also think I have some coupons for 5 bucks off/month for 12 months if I recommed someone to Dish (I think it is I get 5 off & the Receiver gets 5 off) I'd have to check.

To stress,

If you have Charter DROP THEM RIGHT THIS INSTANT, Your sanity will thank me later.

Cable ends about 500 feet from me and the frigures given to me to extend it to me were scary at best. That said, I HAD Direct TV for awhile. I no longer carry TV since it became waaaaay to expensive and we lost signal regularly (2-3 times a week).

After harsh words from both sides I opted to be rid of the idiot box entirely. That was 2 1/2 years ago.

Remove ads