• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone remember Hero Quest?

Dirigible

Explorer
Alzrius mentioned this in passing in another thread, and it got me remembering.

Anyone still play HQ? I know it's got a substantive following on the net.

It was either the first or second RPG (well, loosely and RPG. I mean, it had orcs, neh? Orcs define RPGs, right?) I played, before or after Advanced Fighting Fantasy, though I can't say it was astonishingly influential on my altter tastes and styles.

I still use those wonderful bits of furniture with my home-made cardboard dungeon floor tiles, and I've got most of the little plastic dudes. THough most of them have been bent, spindled and mutilated, and in extreme cases welded to each other.

edit: Heh. It also had the first bit of gratuitous railroading I can remember - the exploding posion gargoyle in the lair of the Witch Lord :D

Last edited:

Angcuru

First Post
I read the title and though you were talking about the game that was eventually changed to Quest for Glory. Just thought I'd share that for no particular reason.

*trundles off to decipher his horribly hand-written SH notes* Geez. I should be a doctor or something

DMScott

First Post
I don't play any more, but I've got one of the editions on my shelf. I still use the minis. My group liked Talisman better.

GW let the North American trademark lapse, I believe, and so today HeroQuest is a roleplaying game set in Glorantha. Pretty decent, too.

Phineas Crow

First Post
Heroquest was my first experience with pnp gaming, I probably wouldn’t have tried D&D without it.

Does anyone remember Advanced Heroquest?

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Never actually played the game but I picked up two of them dirt cheap when a local toy store went out of business. I've used the figures a number of times at gaming conventions, as they were a lot lighter to carry around than leads.

Maraxle

First Post
I still play once in a while, though I ebayed my somewhat rare Barbarian Quest expansion pack a year ago. I got $120 or so for it, so it was worth it to me. I kept the main game, Kellar's Keep expansion, and Return of the Witchlord expansion.

As for the game that got changed to Quest for Glory, that was Hero's Quest.

Last edited:

Dyir

First Post
I liked the game when I was younger and couldn't get people to play D&D with me. Now I think that my players are getting into the new D&D Miniatures game just so that I'd stop using the Hero Quest figures for everything.

ThirdWizard

First Post
We still use the ol' HeroQuest board for a battle grid sometimes and the miniatures for D&D! Tons of skeletons, goblins, and those big green ones make good hobgoblins, orcs, etc. We nicknamed the gargoyle "Gygax the 25 level fighter/mage with a soul sucking sword" and only use him for special occasions. Several have had accidents, though. For example the guy with the staff has no hand.

Good stuff. Good stuff.

francisca

I got dice older than you.
I didn't know about it until a few years ago, and picked up a copy from ebay. We play it once in a while when the whole group isn't there, and I even talked my wife into playing it a few weeks back.

She rocks. Grasped the basic concepts immediatley. Looking forward to playing it with my boys when they get older.

Kanegrundar

Explorer
I've got a copy of Hero Quest as well as Kellar's Keep and Return of the Witch Lord. I downloaded copies of of the other quests from Milton Bradley's web site (I think that was the company that put it out in the states), though I haven't ran them yet.

I was never able to pick up a copy of Advanced Hero Quest, and I'm not about to drop 100 bucks or more for a copy on Ebay. I guess I'll have to live without. I do have two copies of Warhammer Quest which took several nods from AHQ.

Great fun. We still play HQ every now and then for a change of pace. I even run random dungeons in 3.5 D&D with tailoring inspired from HQ and WhQ.

Kane

Remove ads