• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone remember Hero Quest?

Dirigible

Explorer
Does anyone remember Advanced Heroquest?

Skaven... lots of scaven.

I can still remember how shocked I was when I finally realised HQ and WarHammer were set in the same world.

"Hey... wait... the map... wha? The Empire? Eh? Where's Morcar teh Ev1l Wyz3rd? He should be in the Chaos Army Book!"

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Ah, fond memories.

I remember cajolling my friend to try and play a game with me, but it didn't work out since it was just me, him, and his younger brother. That came about as a result of me wanting to read the booklets for the basic set and Return of the Witchlord, and he told me I couldn't. I realize in hindsight that it was GM-only knowledge, but at the time it drove me crazy.

DarkSoldier

First Post
Many years ago, my uncle got me the HeroQuest box for Hanukkah; poor maintenance led to most of it getting damaged or lost. I have one of the smaller boxes stuffed with whatever's left, but I'm not exactly sure where it is.

Epametheus

First Post
I've still got Her Quest sitting my closet. I ran the whole thing with my big brothers; we rather annoyed about the two expansions being scaled to a party that apparently has no equipment at all beyond the Spirit Blade.

What's this Advanced HeroQuest that everyone's talking about?

Anime Kidd

Explorer
Phineas Crow said:
Heroquest was my first experience with pnp gaming, I probably wouldn’t have tried D&D without it.

Same here. Bit later, my cousin went out and got the black box basic D&D in the 90s and as they say, "the rest is history"

One fond memory was when me and my brother were playing with my dad and we were both in a long hallway and he zapped us with a lightning spell. D'oh! :p Those were fun days.

Slomoot

First Post
This was also my gatway "drug." The only bad thing about hero's quest was that at a young age we would confuse D&D rules with the hero quest rules. I think we played for about 6 months thinking the red dragon had 6 hit points.... :rolleyes:

Ranes

Adventurer
I remember HeroQuest. I worked on it.:cool: Advanced HeroQuest, too. Don't remember much about either game now. Haven't played them in years and don't have copies.

A company called Gremlin Interactive made a PC version of HeroQuest that included the two expansion sets. It was quite an accurate conversion, IIRC. I don't remember very well but I vaguely remember reviewing it for a PC games magazine.;)

Gregor

First Post
They put out a big large-scale war game as well did they not? Was it called like Battle Masters or something? I remember I used to have it as a kid and it came with that HUGE plastic battlemap, a constructable tower and regiments upon regiments of troops!

Anyone else have that?

Cheers,

Praeco

First Post
Gregor said:
They put out a big large-scale war game as well did they not? Was it called like Battle Masters or something? I remember I used to have it as a kid and it came with that HUGE plastic battlemap, a constructable tower and regiments upon regiments of troops!

Anyone else have that?

Cheers,

I've got Battlemasters. The presentation was really cool, but it took maybe ten minutes to play a game. I started making up diffeerent scenarios with special objectives to make it more interesting, and of course added some RPG elements like heros using Heroquest figures and stuff like that.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads