• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone remember Hero Quest?

Richards

Legend
I've got both Hero Quest and Battle Masters. We used to play them alternately: I'd make up a scenario for Hero Quest that involved some new magic item, and if the party found it and escaped to the exit, then the "good guys" would get to use it in the next Battle Masters scenario. Fun times.

Johnathan

Praeco

First Post
Now that the nostalgia is flowing, I remember used Heroquest to introduce my wife to RPGs. I free-formed the rules a bit, and it worked really well as a solid dungeon crawl with extra hands-on elements, to make things a bit more tangible. I cannibalized some outdoor maps from the boxed Buck Rogers TSR role-playing game to add a little variety. On that note I would highly recommend Heroquest with some house rule tweaking as a way to get people interested in gaming. After all, it's still a boardgame, but one that can be easily be mutated over time into something more.

Evil-B

First Post
Heh. We played HeroQuest to death, each of us had a copy because Toys R' us had them on clearance for $9.95 almost 10 years ago...

I tried to get everyone into Advanced HQ as well, but even though I thought the game was cool, I just couldn't get my group to bite (took too much setup).

Cooinceidentally enough, did you guys know that Hasbro has recently released a HQ-type game (supposedly by the same designer) with the D&D license? It has the same kind of cardboard board-sections, lots of special dice and plastic minatures based on creatures from the Monster Manual. Up to five players play one of the four iconics (Jozan, Redgar, Lidda and Mialee) plus a DM.

There's a review here: http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/9/9483.phtml

Bad side is that the game currently isn't availible in the US, I had to import mine from the UK. That made a game which would be roughly $40 here closer to $70. :(

(yes, I was obsessed).

AeroDm

First Post
Does anyone remember DragonQuest? We played DQ a great deal and then my current gaming group all played HQ. We use the HQ minis for D&D constantly. Of course, the DQ minis are almost identical to HQ with the exception that there is no furniture... HQ seems better.

fett527

First Post
Loved Hero Quest. I played it constantly with my little brother after I got into D&D. We had a lot of fun playing that game.

The real question is did anyone play DragonStrike from TSR? (See sig) My friends and I bought it, but never played it. We couldn't because we were laughing so hard at the intro video. That video still illicits quotes while gaming to this day.

ErichDragon

First Post
The real question is did anyone play DragonStrike from TSR? (See sig) My friends and I bought it, but never played it. We couldn't because we were laughing so hard at the intro video. That video still illicits quotes while gaming to this day.

"You just might be the victim of a Dragon Strike!"

My roomates in college and I used to play all the time. It was kind of a running joke. I hated the game because it was so silly, but they loved to make deals with me to run it. The video quotes are still used when we game to this day. "Can I be the Wizard"..."You're on!"

What made it even sillier is every adventure, about half-way through, they would insist on dropping their weapons and only using pro-wrestling moves on the monsters. The shining moment of the experience was when two of the players put the Manscorpion (Tssssk....Tssssk, for those who have seen the video) in a double figure 4 leg-lock.

As to HeroQuest, I had the basic box, 2 expansions and the Advanced HeroQuest game. I played them all when we didn't have time or preparation for D&D, and still use the figures and furniture in my games today.

Kanegrundar

Explorer
fett527 said:
The real question is did anyone play DragonStrike from TSR?

Yep. Still have my copy sitting in the closet. We only played a couple game with it, prefering the way the quests were set up in HQ instead, but we made stats for all the figures that came with DragonStrike.

Kane

Kastil

Explorer
Oh yes. We still play Hero Quest in this house. It's a nice game for my kid to play though he usually gets us killed with the old 'splitting the party' gig. I refused to play it for a while. We picked up the Dark Tower game but I'm kinda not allowed to play that with the family as I tend to win everytime we play.

All those D&D type board games are classic. I even make the little figures 'smack talk' the orcs. :-D

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
fett527 said:

Ah yes...

"Is this like a video game?"

"Sort of, but it uses the most powerful information processor in the world: your brain."

Who was that "Dragon Master" in the video anyway? He was also the voice for the fighter in the First Quest audio CD (which was what I cut my teeth on when making the jump from OD&D to AD&D).

Remove ads