• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone seen Dragon 352 yet?

Pants said:
I think a few of their abilities might have been 'missed' or purposefully left out. For example, in PSS they 'see' by detecting other creature's thought waves or some such. The descriptive text mentions them as 'eyeless' yet they have no blindsight or any real way of seeing. I also would've given them some sort of Fast Healing ability or damage reduction since it didn't seem like much could physically 'harm' them.
I don't remember that being the case. For the most part, folks simply didn't have any chance to make an attack in the first place.

Then again, the adventurers got off a shot or two and the Weaver had a pretty good knock-down drag out, although we hardly got a blow for blow of that.

Maybe you've got a point after all. I may have to reread that. But yeah--my first thought was the same thing--CR 9? You gotta be kidding me.

Pants

First Post
J-Dawg said:
I don't remember that being the case. For the most part, folks simply didn't have any chance to make an attack in the first place.
PSS Spoilers
Remember the part where Isaac and the adventurers went after the moths. They wore special helmets that projected their 'thought patterns' elsewhere to confuse the mouths. When one of the helmets got knocked off, the moths were finally able to 'see' the adventurer. Before that they seemed pretty invisible to the moths.

Then again, the adventurers got off a shot or two and the Weaver had a pretty good knock-down drag out, although we hardly got a blow for blow of that.
It seemed, at least to me, that the Weaver was barely holding his own against the moths. I also seem to recall someone mentioning some sort of supernatural healing on the part of the moths, though I may be incorrect about that.

Schmoe

Adventurer
PhoenixDarkDirk said:
I like the kaiju yrthak.

I liked that too :)

I'd never heard of China Mieville before this issue, so most of the content was sort of "eh." From the outside looking in, in my opinion it just looks like another collection of anthropomorphic races. :/ Having read some of the comments from other people, and EM's editorial, Mieville sounds like an author I'll want to check out.

But the ecology of the yrthak was pretty cool! I really liked the origin myth for the creature. The CR for the kaiju yrthak is probably a little too high, though.

I haven't read all of the issue yet, but I'm looking forward to seeing the FR undead, too.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Flex,

Not for another week. They are saying Wednesday the 24th. Or was it Tuesday the 23rd...
One of those two dates.

I didn't see it at Barnes & Noble (wanted to use the last few bucks of a gift card to pick it up) but my FLGS was supposed to have it already, and my public library has their copy.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
J-Dawg said:
I didn't see it at Barnes & Noble (wanted to use the last few bucks of a gift card to pick it up) but my FLGS was supposed to have it already, and my public library has their copy.
My FLGS has it... since yesterday. But I'm in the UK, so YMMV.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
*still would like to be in a place where the local public library carried Dragon* Cause not even Morgantown's public library does that.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Razz said:
I read that, seemed only a few. Good job overall, though. I know how hard it can be to balance out all the factors such as making them more accessible in play, yet keeping them epic, yet not making them too strong compared to the archdevils...

If it was up to me I'd pop them in the CR 30s and tell people in the article to weaken them yerself by lowering HD, SR, etc. and use them as aspects (or the real thing itself). Heh heh, but that's just epic snob ol' me. I am the type that doesn't want the super BBEG being taken down so easily unless you literally become legendary yourself (past 20th level).

yeah, i think Monte was probably more annoyed that we changed Imix from the RttToEE version, rather than just that we made him a higher CR. ;)

Remove ads