• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

AoO or not?

Felon

First Post
So an ogre walks on up to a druid who's casting Summon Nature's Ally without casting defensively. Does the druid provoke an AoO from the ogre and any other passerby that threatens?

werk

First Post
srd-casting time said:
When you begin a spell that takes 1 round or longer to cast, you must continue the concentration from the current round to just before your turn in the next round (at least). If you lose concentration before the casting is complete, you lose the spell.

I'd say yes.

William_2

First Post
SRD: “You only provoke attacks of opportunity when you begin casting a spell, even though you might continue casting for at least one full round. While casting a spell, you don’t threaten any squares around you.”

So, the Ogre would get an AoO only if it was in a square that threatened the Druid when they began casting, not if it arrives during the round’s worth of casting.

Edit: Any attack might still break the Druid’s concentration, as above.

reveal

Adventurer
Felon said:
So an ogre walks on up to a druid who's casting Summon Nature's Ally without casting defensively. Does the druid provoke an AoO from the ogre and any other passerby that threatens?

Nevermind.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Felon said:
I believe the answer is no. The druid would provoke an AoO during his own turn, when he began to cast, but he isn't in a constant state of provoking that grants anyone who comes into range later in the round an AoO.

If the ogre had been threatening the druid when the druid started, he'd get an AoO. If he comes up to the druid on his own turn afterward, he'll need to spend an attack of his own to hit the druid. No free AoO.

Now, if he does hit the druid, then he may be able to disrupt the spell.

Edit: Darn, too slow! At least all the replies above agree with mine, though. :p

Infiniti2000

First Post
Thanee said:
No, you only provoke AoO when you begin an action (movement is the exception).
Only the section on casting has this caveat. Nothing about, say, drinking potion says that you do not provoke an AoO throughout the quaffing. For example, if the ogre were to ready to move up to you when you're halfway through drinking a potion, he would get an AoO. But, not if you were casting a spell.

Lord Pendragon said:
Edit: Darn, too slow! At least all the replies above agree with mine, though.
werk's doesn't. ;)

Thanee

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
Only the section on casting has this caveat.

Doesn't matter, that part is completely redundant, anyways. Only performing an action (and movement) can provoke an AoO, and you can only perform actions on your turn (ready and such obviously work different). It's just a clarification to an otherwise pretty common situation, which would certainly be questioned by a few people.

Bye
Thanee

Infiniti2000

First Post
Right, performing an action may provoke an AoO. But, you said "beginning" action is what provokes an AoO. That's incorrect except for spellcasting. For every other action that provokes an AoO, performing that action provokes an AoO throughout the duration of you performing it, not just beginning it. You have no basis for using the word "begin." If you do, however, please correct me. It is a rare, but important distinction.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads