• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

AoO or not?

Krelios

First Post
Infiniti, what situation in the rules could possibly cause an AoO on an action after it has begun besides spellcasting? In the example you gave of the potion, that Ogre wouldn't get an AoO on you, because you didn't take the action to drink the potion in threat range, and Readied actions allow the Ogre to hit you before you started drinking, so no AoO there either. Besides, drinking a potion doesn't take more than a standard action, so nothing else can happen during that action--beginning, middle and end are all the same in that case.

Thanee

First Post
You are quite liberate with the use of 'you have no basis' lately, hmm? ;)

Provoking an Attack of Opportunity: Two kinds of actions can provoke attacks of opportunity: moving out of a threatened square and performing an action within a threatened square.

Performing a Distracting Act: Some actions, when performed in a threatened square, provoke attacks of opportunity as you divert your attention from the battle. Table: Actions in Combat notes many of the actions that provoke attacks of opportunity.

Each round’s activity begins with the character with the highest initiative result and then proceeds, in order, from there. Each round of a combat uses the same initiative order. When a character’s turn comes up in the initiative sequence, that character performs his entire round’s worth of actions. (For exceptions, see Attacks of Opportunity and Special Initiative Actions.)

An action’s type essentially tells you how long the action takes to perform (within the framework of the 6-second combat round) and how movement is treated. There are four types of actions: standard actions, move actions, full-round actions, and free actions.

In a normal round, you can perform a standard action and a move action, or you can perform a full-round action. You can also perform one or more free actions. You can always take a move action in place of a standard action.

A spell that takes 1 round to cast is a full-round action. It comes into effect just before the beginning of your turn in the round after you began casting the spell. You then act normally after the spell is completed.

When you begin a spell that takes 1 round or longer to cast, you must continue the concentration from the current round to just before your turn in the next round (at least). If you lose concentration before the casting is complete, you lose the spell.

Bye
Thanee

Infiniti2000

First Post
Thanee said:
You are quite liberate with the use of 'you have no basis' lately, hmm?
Maybe, but perhaps I just don't think of it really with a negative connotation. It's more of a factual statement. So, being liberal with it can't be a bad thing. :)

In any case, Thanee, what was the purpose of all those quotes? Only the first one is important and it proves my point.

Krelios said:
Infiniti, what situation in the rules could possibly cause an AoO on an action after it has begun besides spellcasting? In the example you gave of the potion, that Ogre wouldn't get an AoO on you, because you didn't take the action to drink the potion in threat range, and Readied actions allow the Ogre to hit you before you started drinking, so no AoO there either. Besides, drinking a potion doesn't take more than a standard action, so nothing else can happen during that action--beginning, middle and end are all the same in that case.
Like I said the Ogre readies to move up to you when you're halfway through drinking the potion. He's not readying to move up before you drink it or after you drink, but halfway. So, you'll be in the middle of drinking the potion when he threatens you.

But, like I said, it will be rare.

Thanee

First Post
Ready obviously works different, as I also implied above, but the question is not about ready, but about continuous actions. They don't provoke outside your turn, since you are only performing them on your turn (where you *begin* them).

And I'm not really sure whether you should be able to ready against someone being midway through drinking a potion, that's really stretching it a bit. But it also doesn't matter, since the whole full-round action is 'beginning' the (continuous) action.

Bye
Thanee

Infiniti2000

First Post
So, basically you are just saying that the whole point is moot because no one will ever suddenly be threatening you in the middle of your turn?

I disagree, but the occurrences are rare. Here's one such rare case that does not involve a readied action. Imagine a slowed rogue trying to open a lock. He must use two standard actions over two rounds. If the enemy wants to interrupt him, they can move to the rogue and the rogue immediately provokes an AoO for performing a distracting act in their threatened area.

irdeggman

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
Maybe, but perhaps I just don't think of it really with a negative connotation. It's more of a factual statement. So, being liberal with it can't be a bad thing. :)

In any case, Thanee, what was the purpose of all those quotes? Only the first one is important and it proves my point.

Like I said the Ogre readies to move up to you when you're halfway through drinking the potion. He's not readying to move up before you drink it or after you drink, but halfway. So, you'll be in the middle of drinking the potion when he threatens you.

But, like I said, it will be rare.

Nope can't be done.

Per the SRD:

READY
The ready action lets you prepare to take an action later, after your turn is over but before your next one has begun. Readying is a standard action. It does not provoke an attack of opportunity (though the action that you ready might do so).

Readying an Action: You can ready a standard action, a move action, or a free action. To do so, specify the action you will take and the conditions under which you will take it. Then, any time before your next action, you may take the readied action in response to that condition. The action occurs just before the action that triggers it. If the triggered action is part of another character’s activities, you interrupt the other character. Assuming he is still capable of doing so, he continues his actions once you complete your readied action. Your initiative result changes. For the rest of the encounter, your initiative result is the count on which you took the readied action, and you act immediately ahead of the character whose action triggered your readied action.

You can take a 5-foot step as part of your readied action, but only if you don’t otherwise move any distance during the round.

The readied action occurs immediately before the action that triggers it. There is no action "drink half a potion" there is "drink a potion" or "use a magic item" though.

IMO when it says or condition it is talking about things that aren't actions, like the door opens, etc.

atom crash

First Post
Ready obviously works different, as I also implied above, but the question is not about ready, but about continuous actions. They don't provoke outside your turn, since you are only performing them on your turn (where you *begin* them).

I'd have to agree with Thanee that you can only provoke an AoO on your turn, when you perform the action. I don't recall any instance in the SRD of an action provoking an AoO outside of the provoking character's turn.

Infiniti2000

First Post
irdeggman said:
Nope can't be done. ...
The readied action occurs immediately before the action that triggers it. There is no action "drink half a potion" there is "drink a potion" or "use a magic item" though.
So, you're saying that readying an action actually puts you back in time? That especially makes readying against a charge interesting. I mean no offense, but do you really believe what you wrote or are you just cutting n' pasting the SRD without trying to reason out some examples and putting the rule in context? Just think about the charge example, as one of many. How about disrupting a spell, what concentration check do you need? If I ready "if she starts casting a spell" then clearly 'she' must make a concentration check. Based on what you wrote, my attack occurs before the casting starts, despite how I word the trigger. In fact, I suppose according to you I could ready "if she almost completes the spell" and when my action triggers in the middle of hers, I still move back in time to complete the attack before she starts. Anyway, when we look on the concentration table, the first one applies, so you're saying the table is in error when it says "damaged during the action", right?
atom crash said:
I'd have to agree with Thanee that you can only provoke an AoO on your turn, when you perform the action. I don't recall any instance in the SRD of an action provoking an AoO outside of the provoking character's turn.
Are you arguing then that you only perform the action on your turn? So, when you perform a full round action as two standard actions, there's a gap? Can you defend this viewpoint? I see nothing about the Start/Complete FRA that says you are not performing the action outside your turn.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads