AoOs gallore!

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
When the goblin runs past the fighter, it takes its MEA to move. Having done so, it turns out that it had to go through the fighter's threatened area (3 squares in this case), thus it provokes an AoO.

What if the goblin is double-moving, and starts off 25-30 feet away from the fighter?

The last 5 feet of its first MEA have it leaving one threatened square. The first five feet of its second MEA have it leaving a second threatened square.

Would you let both of those actions provoke AoOs?

-Hyp.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Hee hee.

The craziness of this discussion is a strong argument for sticking to "only one AoO per opponent per round" as I believe the letter of the rules as written dictate.

I think that "only one AoO per opportunity" is a bad idea. (1) It makes Combat Reflexes and AoOs vastly more powerful in a narrow set of circumstances, and does not feel right in the context of D&D style combat. (2) It makes the Feat power too strongly tied to the Dex stat, something I oppose as a general policy.

A good compromise is "only one AoO per action" which would prevent a Wiz from moving 10' just to provoke the AoO before casting. Then you would have one and only one AoO associated with any "move action" even if you are using the Fighter as a may pole.

SableWyvern

Adventurer
Support For Corwin!

While both arguments have their merit, I rule the same way you do Corwin.

I can understand people disagreeing with your interpretation, but I can't see why they don't understand it.

Seems to be written quite clearly to me.

Stay sane, man.:)

Oracular Vision

First Post
Going back to the topic of this thread...

Monte Cook has a new spell called Threatening Weapon that does nothing but make AoO's, as many as are created in its threatened area. You could draw at least two a round on every PC nearby, with, for example, a move and an action which draws an AoO such as spellcasting. This is as close to endless as you can get I think.

Darklone

Ridley's Cohort said:
Hee hee.

The craziness of this discussion is a strong argument for sticking to "only one AoO per opponent per round" as I believe the letter of the rules as written dictate.

Agreed. I guess this whole discussion has taken place as they prepared the 3rd edition :)

Btw: this whole bull:):):):) *EXCUSE ME* discussion is the reason why I houserule AoOs. As well as spell interupting. Probably the same reason why SW and WoT changed it too.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Re: Going back to the topic of this thread...

This is as close to endless as you can get I think.

How about two antagonistic Threatening Weapon spells?

One of them is moving to attack a new opponent, and passes through the threatened area of the other.

The second TW makes an AoO as a Sunder attempt. Since they're force weapons, the attempt is ineffective, but draws an AoO. They could Sunder back and forth forever... all in the space of 6 seconds! :)

Actually... neither of them would ever swing, come to think of it. The preparation to Sunder causes the other one to prepare to sunder, which causes the first one to prepare to... what a boring fight to watch :)

(Don't try and tell me a spell can't draw an AoO. I realise I'm being silly.)

-Hyp.

Remove ads