AoOs gallore!

Psyduck

First Post
Is it possible to take an attack action that draws an AoO on an AoO? Would they get an AoO as well?

example: If someone walks through your threatened area, is it possible to try and grapple or punch? Would the grapplee/punchee get an AoO?

SpikeyFreak

First Post
Psyduck said:
Is it possible to take an attack action that draws an AoO on an AoO? Would they get an AoO as well?

example: If someone walks through your threatened area, is it possible to try and grapple or punch? Would the grapplee/punchee get an AoO?

Yes, but the sage has ruled that if you are armed (unless you have Improved Unarmed Strike) you can't take an AoO because you don't threaten an area.

If two people don't have IUS and start punching each other, neither provokes AoOs from the other.

--Confusing Spikey

Last edited:

Uller

Adventurer
Let me expand on that answer: Don't forget that it is not possible(using the core rules and some clarifications from the sage...I don't know about splat books and what not) that it is not possible to get more than one AoO per target per round. So you can't set up some endless chain of AoOs.

Your target moves through your threatened area, so you grapple him. So he tries to trip you. That's it. You've each decided on one AoO on each other. If he trips you, then you don't get your AoO(or I guess you just do it at a penalty for being prone). His trip does not trigger an AoO from you.

Xahn'Tyr

First Post
Since you can only do one AoO on a given person in a round, the AoO chain is cut rather short. But in general, yes, you can trigger an AoO when you take your AoO.

Last edited:

SpikeyFreak

First Post
Uller said:
Your target moves through your threatened area, so you grapple him. So he tries to trip you. That's it. You've each decided on one AoO on each other. If he trips you, then you don't get your AoO(or I guess you just do it at a penalty for being prone). His trip does not trigger an AoO from you.

Yep, the sage has clarified this, and he did say one AoO per target per round.

The game designers however, have said that you can take more than one AoO per round on the same target if they provoke more than one. Their comments are not official though.

--Anti-Sage Spikey

Uller

Adventurer
SpikeyFreak said:

Yep, the sage has clarified this, and he did say one AoO per target per round.

The game designers however, have said that you can take more than one AoO per round on the same target if they provoke more than one. Their comments are not official though.

--Anti-Sage Spikey

Well, if you go with the other designers, using the core rules you STILL can't go on forever(or even very long in most cases). Most characters don't have Combat reflexes and most of the ones that do don't have a enough of a dex to get more than 3 or 4 AoOs...so the chain is not endless(and could prove rather comical in a Jackie Chan movie sort of way...). I don't think there are any splat books feats that grant unlimited AoOs, either.

Anyway...in all circumstances the chain is not infinite. In 99% of them, it is a managable length.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...

Huh. So according to their comments, if someone runs past you, and you have Combat Reflexes, you can hit them three times? Since they pass through three of your threatened squares?

The one-per-target-per-round rule is one of the major limiting factors on Combat Reflexes. Getting rid of it makes the feat much more "I wannit!" :)

-Hyp.

Corwin

Explorer
Actually, the "other designers" intended it to be one AoO per opponent per violation. So, just running through your threatened area would only draw one AoO. If they then ended their move still in your reach and cast a spell, you would get another one. One per provocation.

I like it this way. Makes Combat Reflexes a bit more interesting. I've seen people deliberately move around an opponent to draw the AoO so that they could then pull off something else in their threat range without suffering the AoO that would mess them up (mainly grapple attempts and spellcasting).

BTW, quick aside...

As far as I know, each square you threaten is not a "separate threatened area". You have one area which consists of all your threatened squares. So moving through three sqares past an orc is still only one violation of the AoO rule.

Last edited:

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Hypersmurf said:

Huh. So according to their comments, if someone runs past you, and you have Combat Reflexes, you can hit them three times? Since they pass through three of your threatened squares?

The one-per-target-per-round rule is one of the major limiting factors on Combat Reflexes. Getting rid of it makes the feat much more "I wannit!" :)

-Hyp.

My understanding is that the designers give you one AoO per opportunity. If I run past Jackie Chan, he gets one AoO for running past him. He may decide to trip me. Furious at being tripped by a suicidal 40-year-old movie star, I try to cast a lightning bolt on him. But since I'm lying right there at his feet, I provoke another AoO for casting a spell: he kicks my spell components out of my hand. Since he's attacking an object in my hand (and I have Improved Unarmed Strike), he provokes an AoO: I try to grab his foot to grapple him. But since I'm grappling, I provoke another AoO: he kicks me with the other foot.

I, alas, don't have combat reflexes. His other-foot-kick hits me, so I fail in my attempt to grapple him. Then he kicks my spell components, but doesn't manage to disarm me of them. My spell goes off fine (I don't think I need to make a concentration check, since his successful kick against me wasn't in response to my spell, but was rather in response to my response to his response to my spell :D). And he gets blasted. Unfortunately, my blast actually hits him, instead of going right in front of him between him and the camera: he goes to the hospital, and they show that scene during the credits.

How does that sound?

Daniel

Remove ads