"appropriate place" for "comments about moderation"?

CapnZapp

Legend
Regarding @Alzrius thread where the following moderation message was referenced:

Don’t post again in this thread. If you have comments to make about moderation, do so in the appropriate place.

The following is an appeal for clarity only (I don't condone any poster's behavior and am trying to phrase this post to avoid the specific issue):

The description of the "meta forums" suggests this would be the "appropriate place", since it says "The meta forums cover forum specific issues and problems. If you have a question, comment or concern about how the board is run, it goes here." but the description of the actual meta forum is less clear-cut: "If you have a problem, and no-one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The A-Team! Wait, no. Post comments and questions about the messageboards and other parts of EN World."

You might think "comments and questions" include remarks on moderation, and "a question, comment or concern about how the board is run" definitely suggests moderator feedback is included - but the actual terms and rules have this to say:
If you really, really disagree with a moderator's position on a moderating issue, please don't argue about it on the boards. That means no calling out of moderators, and no challenging their decisions in the thread. If you honestly feel that you have been treated unfairly, please contact the moderator in question privately and discuss it with them.
"Don't argue on the boards" means not even the Meta forums. This makes the forum descriptions arguably a bit misleading.

So if I understand the moderation text above correctly, the poster in question was moderated because he should have PMd you Morrus (or preferably not, I guess) with his objections and didn't?

Can I humbly suggest the various referenced sources are given a once-over to make it clear whether its appropriate or not appropriate to make comments "about moderation" in Meta?

Best Regards,
Zapp

PS. Please note how I am not asking any actual question, so this thread can be closed right away. At the very least closing it represents a receipt it has been read. That is all I can ask for. Thank you and have a good day.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
If you have comments about specific moderator actions, or individual moderators, we ask you to take those to PM. Those discussions sometimes end up being about the behaviors of individual people, and it isn't appropriate to have them in public.

If you can questions about general policy, PM or here would be appropriate. If you aren't sure, send a PM first to get clarification.

CapnZapp

Legend
If you have comments about specific moderator actions, or individual moderators, we ask you to take those to PM. Those discussions sometimes end up being about the behaviors of individual people, and it isn't appropriate to have them in public.

If you can questions about general policy, PM or here would be appropriate. If you aren't sure, send a PM first to get clarification.
Thanks.

I leave it up to you to determine whether the current terms, rules and board descriptions are sufficiently non-contradictory to convey this message:

"The meta forums cover forum specific issues and problems. If you have a question, comment or concern about how the board is run, it goes here."
"If you have a problem, and no-one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The A-Team! Wait, no. Post comments and questions about the messageboards and other parts of EN World."
"If you really, really disagree with a moderator's position on a moderating issue, please don't argue about it on the boards. That means no calling out of moderators, and no challenging their decisions in the thread. If you honestly feel that you have been treated unfairly, please contact the moderator in question privately and discuss it with them."

Best regards,

Remove ads