• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Aquatic subtype abilities

brightgoat

First Post
Where do I find the abilities granted by being part of the aquatic subtype? I've looked everywhere, and I can't seem to find it.

Am I going crazy??

hong

WotC's bitch
There are none, just as there are none for the "goblinoid" subtype, or "elf" subtype, and so on. The subtype just means that an aquatic creature may be affected by various magic items or spells that are keyed to it.

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
Exactly... gills.

What gives a Dragon the ability to fly? Wings. What gives an elf better hearing than a human? His special ears.

It's part of the race, not any template or special ability linked to the subtype. The creatures lived in the sea, so they evolved certain abilities to aid them in that setting, such as gills so they can breathe water.

kreynolds

First Post
Re: But But But...

brightgoat said:
So, what gives Saghuin or merfolk or sharks or whatever the ability to breathe water?

I guess you could call it "the creature's default racial template" or "just a whole bunch of racial abilities" that makes them what they are. You can do either one. Just take your pick.

coyote6

Adventurer
I just noticed that the triton entry doesn't actually say that tritons can breathe in water (or air, for that matter). :D

In hindsight, it would've been nice if they'd explicitly specified which monsters can breathe in water, in air and water, and which (if any, besides presumably undead and constructs) don't need to breathe at all.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads