• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Arcane Archivist?

resistor

First Post
I really like the Dark Knowledge ability of the Archivist from Heroes of Horror, but don't feel that the flavor fits a divine caster as well as an arcanist. What would people think of having an arcane Archivist instead? Are there any changes that would need to be made to maintain balance?

smootrk

First Post
Never thought of the class as Arcane, although I have considered a set of minor tweaks to make a Nature Archivist (essentially bent more toward the Druidic - like a Zoologist/Botanist).

Why don't you just give the Knowledge feature to Wizards as a 1st level choice in lieu of bonus Wizard Feats (the every 5 level ones). Seems like a fair swap, although I am no balance guru.

resistor

First Post
That's a possibility, but it doesn't quite fit one of my somewhat unstated design goals for the class. I'm trying to make a new, more beginner-friendly arcane caster. First step was hopefully to convert the archivist to arcane (so that it becomes a bit more survivable, and gains some combat-useful powers that don't rely on micromanaging spells).

Sravoff

First Post
I also see the archivist better suited to be arcane. Since divine spells aren't really scrolled very often. Not the way arcane are. Plus the archivist is the only (That I know of) divine caster that uses a spell book. It just seems "off". It doesn't really fit.

You would have to use a half caster like the bard, at most. Since most arcane spells are considered "more pwerful" than divine.

As written, it may convert straight over, as a bard styled caster. Perhaps with a spell book, that only adds spells every other level. First, third, fifth, ect.

Begin play with five 0th, and 1+int mod.

After that, third, fifth, ect. Gain two to add. And they may add more as normal.

Prepare all spells as normal as well.

-Sravoff

drothgery

First Post
Sravoff said:
I also see the archivist better suited to be arcane. Since divine spells aren't really scrolled very often. Not the way arcane are.

But since the Archivist can scribe, all she needs to do is find someone that can cast a divine spell she wants, scribe it, and copy it into her prayerbook.

Sravoff said:
Plus the archivist is the only (That I know of) divine caster that uses a spell book. It just seems "off". It doesn't really fit.

It might not fit traditional D&D, but priests calling down divine power from rites in dusty old books and scrolls is straight out of a lot of fantasy novels and video games. Besides, the only WotC base classes, period, with spellbooks/prayerbooks are wizard, wu jen, and archivist. Two arcane and one divine is not a major distinction. WotC's arcane classes break down to two with spellbooks (wizard, wu jen), five with spells known (bard, duskblade, hexblade, sorcerer, spellthief), and three with access to their entire list (beguiler, dread nercomancer, warmage). The divine classes are mostly those with access to their entire list (cleric, druid, paladin, ranger), two with spells known (favored soul, shugenja), one oddball hybrid (spirit shaman), and one with a prayerbook (archivist).

Sravoff said:
You would have to use a half caster like the bard, at most. Since most arcane spells are considered "more pwerful" than divine.

They're not that much more powerful, especially when you start considering druid spells and domain spells.

Remove ads