Starfinder [Arcanum of the Stars] "Dragonstarfinder"

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Yeah, think so.

I think we'll make our lives a looooooooooooot easier if we look at the spell list for the Beguiler with the 'knows all spells' option. It's a much smaller, more compact list. We'll still need to make cuts, but a lot of the work has already been done for us.
I'll truth your judgement. It sounds like the best option. Let's not reinvent the wheel. And I would say, for now, assume she has access to up 6th-level spells only and we can see if the class needs the extra spells. After looking at the limited spells for the Starfarer classes, your PC will have way more spells than those classes and the core SF classes. The Mystic and Technomancer max. out at 5 spell slots per level at 20th-level. The Beguiler probably should too.

Shayuri said:
So! A rough draft, in which I'm just going to pick spells out of the SF book and the website that match the spell list in the Beguiler article as closely as possible. Spells to be adapted over and added are not addressed here:

[sblock=0 Level] Dancing Lights, Daze, Detect magic, Ghost Sound, Telepathic Message [/sblock]
[sblock=1 Level] Alarm, Charm Person, Comprehend Languages, Detect Thoughts, Disguise Self, Expeditiousness, Holographic Image, Identify, Lesser Confusion, Ventriloquism[/sblock]
[sblock=2 Level] Daze Monster, Hold Person, Holographic Image, Invisibility, Knock, Mirror Image, See Invisible, Spider Climb[/sblock]
[sblock=3 Level] Arcane Sight, Charm Monster, Clairaudience/Voyance, Deep Slumber, Dispel Magic, Displacement, Euphoric Cloud, Haste, Holographic Image, Nondetection, Reflective Hideaway, Slow, Suggestion, Tongues, Web[/sblock]
[sblock=4 Level] Arcane Eye, Confusion, Hold Monster, Holographic Image, Greater Invisibility, Detect Observation, Mind Probe, Nightcloak, Secret Text, Sending, Telepathic Bond[/sblock]
[sblock=5 Level] Break Enchantment, Dominate Person, Feeblemind, Greater Dispel Magic, Holographic Image, Holographic Terrain, Mislead, Modify Memory, Passwall, Private Sanctum, Prying Eyes, Freedom of Movement, Hostile Juxtaposition[/sblock]
[sblock=6 Level] Ethereal Jaunt, Holographic Image, Mass Invisibility, Shadow Walk, Shadowy Fleet, True Seeing, Veil, Getaway[/sblock]
Looks like a good selection to start.

Shayuri

First Post
A concern I have:

We're trying to balance these legacy classes with core Starfinder classes, but are we overlooking that Starfinder classes have proficiencies to use high tech equipment that legacy classes do not? Is that something we can take into account?

I feel like someone like Silhouette only works against high tech opponents if she is either substantially more powerful, magically...or has access to high tech herself.

Buddha the DM

Explorer
Well I've already hit one snag in rebuilding Soumral using Starfinder. Some of the logical choices for the concept aren't available to an outlander character. Ace Pilot would be great for an Imperial Soumral but not an Outlander Soumral. So I'm going to go with the Spacefarer theme which is the explorer and doesn't particularly depend on high-tech to fulfill the role.

Shayuri

First Post
We might be able to define customized themes, I think. The ones that come with the book are pretty clearly aimed at high tech characters. :)

As for the spell list, it's a bit concentrated on 3rd, 4th and 5th level spells. There's not enough 0-2nd level spells for my tastes.

Spells from the Beguiler list could be converted, or we could make some additional selections off the Mystic or Technomancer lists to help fill in the gaps.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
List of Dragonstar Spells (with possible substitutes from the SFCR or PF Ref. Doc.)

WORK IN PROGRESS

Starfarer's Handbook
1st- to 6th-level
Cause Damage spells: Critical, Light, Minor, Moderate, Serious (used to damage constructs)
Demolish > Entropic Grasp or Destroy Robot (Technology Guide)
Detect Surveillance >
Endure Radiation > Remove Radioactivity
Electric Scry >
Electric Scry, Greater >
Instant Reboot >
Magic Bullets > Supercharge Weapon
Power Down > Discharge
Protection from Radiation >
Reattach >
Refuel > Recharge
Reinforce >
Repair Circle >
Repair Damage spells: Critical, Light, Minor, Moderate, Serious (used to heal constructs) > Rapid Repair
Resist Radiation >
Restore >
Total Protection >

7th-level +
Irradiate > Irradiate (3rd)
Mass Restore >
Recreate >
Tractor Beam >

Player's Companion
1st- to 6th-level
Anti-Technology Shell > Antitech Field (Technology Guide, becomes a 6th-level spell)
Archon's Blessing >
Arms of the Marilith >
Assimilate >
Blind as a Bat >
Breath Weapon > Dragon's Breath (PF Reference Document)
Bolts of Frost >
Celestial Light >
Change Places >
Cloud the Mind >
Control High-Tech Devices > Control Machines
Depths of Despair >
Dire Strike >
Dragon Magic > Draconic Reservoir (PF Reference Document)
Dragonsight >
Enter the Datastream >
Esurience >
Fire Blight >
Glom >
Gowk Storm >
Haywire > Instant Virus
Hide in Time >
Hypothermia > Heat Leech
Impeccable Timing >
Infernal Darkness >
Jade Shard >
Kaleidoscopic Whirlwind >
Lasting Wounds >
Logorrehic Enchantment >
Master of the Hunt > Hunter's Howl (PF Reference Document)
Misericorde >
Music of the Spheres >
Nerve Gas > Caustic Conversion
Panic Attack >
Pounce >
Save Time >
Scales of the Dragon >
Stamina of the Dragon >
Steal Breath >
Technobabble >

7th-level +
Call Dragon >
Chariot of the Void > Interplanetary Teleport [similar concept] (6th)
Cyborg > Rewire Flesh [similar concept but an attack instead of enhancement] (4th)
Flesh to my Flesh >
Might of the Dragon > Form of the Dragon I (PF Reference Document) [similar concept] (6th)
Robotic Guardians > Battle Junkbot (6th)
Technological Ruin >
Wyrm >

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
A concern I have:

We're trying to balance these legacy classes with core Starfinder classes, but are we overlooking that Starfinder classes have proficiencies to use high tech equipment that legacy classes do not? Is that something we can take into account?

I feel like someone like Silhouette only works against high tech opponents if she is either substantially more powerful, magically...or has access to high tech herself.
I was thinking that we'd use these feats from the PF Technology Guide. The reality is that whole section of the PF Reference Document might have to be used for PF Legacy characters. We just change the wording to use the SF terminology.

Shayuri

First Post
Okay, that's fair, though even then we're talking about having to spend feats just to 'catch up' to what other classes get to start with. That still represents something to keep in mind for balancing purposes.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
We might be able to define customized themes, I think. The ones that come with the book are pretty clearly aimed at high tech characters. :)

As for the spell list, it's a bit concentrated on 3rd, 4th and 5th level spells. There's not enough 0-2nd level spells for my tastes.

Spells from the Beguiler list could be converted, or we could make some additional selections off the Mystic or Technomancer lists to help fill in the gaps.
I would say add these SF spells to start: 0th - Token Spell (basically prestidigitation), Mending; 1st - Keen Senses; 2nd - Fog Cloud, Darkvision, ; 6th - Plane Shift, Subjective Reality, as well as the variable spell Flight.

And you'll only be able to cast Shadowy Fleet once your PC has seen a space fleet. Of course, we could make it a shadowy fleet of sailing ships to start. ;)

Shayuri

First Post
Arr, well, a low tech version might be a flight of dragons, or some other magical-themed shadowy source of bombardment, ya know? :)

Do we envision the game taking place mostly on Toril, in the Realms? Or is the plan to move the game's main events into space relatively quickly?

Remove ads