• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Archer Clerics

Axel

First Post
Putting aside the suggestions others have made (all helpful as usual from the knowledgeable people here, I might add)... I have a question for you: if your group has "forced" you to make this change in your character, which wasn't part of your original plan for your character, and after seeing how a better Wisdom score could help make this transition, could you maybe petition your DM to allow you to swap your DEX and WIS scores?

After all, this was a change the group asked you to make, and you, being a super-nice cooperative helpful player ( ! ) have been trying to make this happen, but, your stats as originally generated were intended for a different path, so maybe the DM would see his way to letting you simply swap the 2 stats in question.

Worth a try maybe? It might make your life a little easier. :)

I should note, there is no 'forcing' taking place. There was a discussion around the lack of spontaneous healing spells. The only Cleric we did have (now gone due to player departure) was a LN devotee of Wee-Jas (very effective in his own right), and lack of healing possibilities in general. A Wand of Cure Light Wounds (or Lessor Vigor or whatever) is a valuable thing, but also ultimately limited.

Figuring to advance my character's somewhat mysterious past I volunteered to take on Cleric levels. It fits quite well. So well I wishe I had thought of it at character creation and planned my abilities better. Since I volunteered, I wrung an ability score adjustment out of the DM. My Charisma is now no longer <10, with Wisdom buffed by removing points from Strength and Intelligence. Playing 'flawed' characters is, I find, normally more fun than playing Superman with a minimum of 16 in each score.

I noted a lack of ranged power (sorry, effective ranged power.....) in the party when we were cut to ribbons along an open road by a handful of Gnolls (rather embarassing encounter really). I also noted that with a Cleric level my character's melee power was...diminished. Lower strength, less HP and missing a point of BAB made a bigger hole than I thought it would.

Following the "ow I hurt session" I remembered reading on the boards here about a "cleric archer" that was supposedly quite effective. Figuring to kill 2 birds with 1 stone I am canvassing possibilities (thought experiment really) and future potentials. If I read correctly, the optimised build seems to revolve around Zen Archery; i.e. you get a primary physical attack and spell casting capability out of the same stat (suitable for "poorly statted" characters). Carrying a smalle cache of special materials arrows to cover all eventualities was also something I had never thought of previously, and a most welcome suggestion.

So, I think I've read what I was looking for - an optimised build for the oft-mentioned cleric archer. I can take parts of the optimised build as I and the party can/need. Thanks guys 'n' girls, you've been a big help.

Remove ads