D&D 5E Archetypes to add to 5e

Undrave

Legend
Feels like there's a lack of 'Smart' archetypes. Unless you're using Wizard spells you basically have no reason to invest in INT and, like it or not, mechanical support is always gonna be a factor for a majority of players.

Seems like no other archetype needs to be smart and cultured other than those specific spellcasters. Even the Rogues and all their skills can make do with proficiency and expertise to counter bad INT.

I would also support the Acrobat, essentially a Rogue that is divorced from the Thief origin (and its emphasis on Stealth and Thieves Tools use) and just keeps the agility and maybe sneak attack aspect.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Feels like there's a lack of 'Smart' archetypes. Unless you're using Wizard spells you basically have no reason to invest in INT and, like it or not, mechanical support is always gonna be a factor for a majority of players.

Seems like no other archetype needs to be smart and cultured other than those specific spellcasters. Even the Rogues and all their skills can make do with proficiency and expertise to counter bad INT.

I would also support the Acrobat, essentially a Rogue that is divorced from the Thief origin (and its emphasis on Stealth and Thieves Tools use) and just keeps the agility and maybe sneak attack aspect.
I feel weird saying this, because I don’t like the fighter, but maybe a fighter subclass that gets extra skills?

Undrave

Legend
Sure, if the ONLY thing it got was extra skills. I'm assuming (guessing?) @doctorbadwolf had more in mind than just that.

Ah yes. More skills is a nice ribbon there's no denying that.

How about something like this:

Keen Tactical Mind
Your knowledge of tactics and their counters means that, when battle lines are drawn, you can evaluate a situation in the blink of an eye. You can then shout quick insights to your allies to make your group more efficient. When you roll for Initiative, add twice your Intelligence modifier to your Dexterity roll. Once you and your allies have all rolled for initiative, you and one willing ally that can hear you can swap result.

And then later there could be a feature that makes you better at readied action (+INT to readied attack rolls), making for a subclass that specializes in initiative manipulation?

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
The Savant is a pretty good template for what can be done with INT focused fighters. So actually is the Battle Master, even though that subclass isn't based on INT use at all, I can see ways that it could be. That said, the Savant is essentially an INT based Battle Master, so it's maybe not odd that those are my two best examples.

Undrave

Legend
The Savant is a pretty good template for what can be done with INT focused fighters. So actually is the Battle Master, even though that subclass isn't based on INT use at all, I can see ways that it could be. That said, the Savant is essentially an INT based Battle Master, so it's maybe not odd that those are my two best examples.

Could have been cool if your superiority dice or number of maneuver had been based on INT mod somehow.

The Savant is a third party thing?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
It's a bit boring no? Plus I'm not sure it gives more incentive to go for INT as a secondary or even tertiary stat.
Sure, if the ONLY thing it got was extra skills. I'm assuming (guessing?) @doctorbadwolf had more in mind than just that.
Yes, extra skills would just be part of the subclass.

I was specifically referring to the acrobat, but forgot to clarify that. The basis of the fighter acrobat would be getting Athletics and Acrobatics automatically, and then getting movement based benefits as well.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases