D&D 5E Are Kender considered Halflings for Racial Feats?

Lycurgon

Adventurer
DM's call. Racial feats are pretty obsolescent at this stage of 5e, with custom lineages and the like. I doubt there will be an official ruling. Personally, I would allow any so long as it made some kind of logical sense for the character.
Custom Lineage doesn't make Racial feats obsolete. It is its own Lineage that doesn't count as any other race, so can't take any racial feats unless a DM houserules otherwise.

Last edited:

Custom Lineage doesn't make Racial feats obsolete. It is its own Lineage that doesn't count as any other race, so can't take any racial feats unless a DM houserules otherwise.
1) I said obsolescent, not obsolete. You should look up the difference.

2) That's a RAW interpretation. Anyone familiar with my posting history should know my views on RAW.

3). You are wrong. "Small Race" is all that is required to qualify for Squat Nimbleness, and Custom Lineage can be small.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
2) That's a RAW interpretation. Anyone familiar with my posting history should know my views on RAW.
Yep. What I argue here as RAW and how I run my game are two very different things. I house rule fairly often.
3). You are wrong. "Small Race" is all that is required to qualify for Squat Nimbleness, and Custom Lineage can be small.
I would not call that a racial feat. To me a racial feat is race specific. Human only. Elf/elf blood only. Orc/orc blood only. Just being small doesn't qualify as race specific in my eyes. It's size specific. A very short human would also get it.

I would not call that a racial feat. To me a racial feat is race specific. Human only. Elf/elf blood only. Orc/orc blood only. Just being small doesn't qualify as race specific in my eyes. It's size specific. A very short human would also get it.
It's in the section of XG entitled "Racial Feats".

And RAW "blood" doesn't qualify. For example the half orc feat Orcish Fury doesn't mechanically work for full blooded orcs. Several of the feats in that section are tied to specific subraces. Whilst I would allow a half drow to take the "Drow High Magic" feat, by RAW, they can't.

And ditto. I'd let a full orc take it.
Yeah, but in that case, the main part of the feat doesn't work. It triggers off the Relentless Endurance Trait, and most versions of full blooded orcs don't have that.

"Has the Relentless Endurance Trait" would be a better perquisite.
Edit: was orc even a PC race when that feat came out?
No, and there weren't any small races apart from gnomes and halflings either. That's why they are obsolescent - their design didn't take races added after XG into account.

Squat Nimbleness was intended to remove the speed penalty that used to be assigned to small races. But now they don't get that, so, RAW you can use it to make a small character superspeedy (and superstrong at first level with Custom Lineage).

Last edited:

Lycurgon

Adventurer
1) I said obsolescent, not obsolete. You should look up the difference.

Obsolescent means "becoming obsolete". So what I said is correct. Custom Lineage does not make them obsolete and it also doesn't contribute to racial feats "becoming obsolete". It doesn't make them any less relivant.

Your views on RAW are not relivant to whether Racial Feats are becoming obsolete except for you and your games. As I said people can houserule otherwise. Being able to houserule doesn't contribute to something becoming obsolete. It might mean that it is obsolete at your table or "becoming" so, but that is irrelevant to anyone else unless they have the same house rule.

Yep you are right, 1 feat in the Racial Feats released can be taken by some Custom Lineage characters. This exception doesn't invalidate the rest of my point, it just means there is a Racial Feat that is isn't restricted by race.

Remove ads