D&D 5E Are ranged attacks too good in 5e?

No you just want to remain out of the area of the fireball (*avoid charging at that target that time) and your mage may still go earlier than you... the entire party still wants to go before the enemy so it can potentially gain the ultimate condition dead faster.

That means not closing in on the enemy often enough.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
See, my issue with tracking ammo is cantrips. Eldritch Blast remains competitive with any archery build, but can be done all day long. Other than "realism", why do we need to track ammo for one ranged class and not another?

It's not like it's a big deal, 80 arrows weighs 4 lbs., and money is trivial in a 5e game that doesn't offer something to do with it- but ever since 4e, it always struck me as kind of odd. The 4e Ranger has to track arrows and the 4e Sorcerer does not...because Martial power source is just more limited?

Horwath

Legend
See, my issue with tracking ammo is cantrips. Eldritch Blast remains competitive with any archery build, but can be done all day long. Other than "realism", why do we need to track ammo for one ranged class and not another?

It's not like it's a big deal, 80 arrows weighs 4 lbs., and money is trivial in a 5e game that doesn't offer something to do with it- but ever since 4e, it always struck me as kind of odd. The 4e Ranger has to track arrows and the 4e Sorcerer does not...because Martial power source is just more limited?
because one is magic and the other one is not.

But, it boils down how much detail do you want to keep.

some people ignore arrows, some ignore material spell components if they are not expensive.

some people ignore food and water supplies.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
I've been playing around with trying to design a Fighter based on unlimited use maneuvers...meaning, abilities that can be used situationally or with some kind of risk:reward mechanic, instead of X times/rest...but really so many of the good ideas (if not the best implementation) are already in feats. Charger, Mobility, Shield Master, Sentinel, Mage Slayer, etc....

So I guess all the feats that Fighters get can contribute to the idea, except that those things compete with ASIs, at least for a while.

So maybe a new, one line subclass is:

Warrior
Whenever you get a new subclass feature (at 3, 7, 10, 15, and 18) pick from Charger, Mobility, Shield Master, Grappler, Mage Slayer, Sentinel, Alert, and Dual Wielder.

By level 20 you'd have quite a collection of cool things you can do.

I'd happily play that subclass.

James Gasik

Supporter
Oh no, I totally agree, even though the Warlock has neat toys, I couldn't stand to play one. My roommate tried a Warlock once, and after one session, he retired the character, as, without regular rests, he just spammed EB for the majority of the session. I know it gets extra utility at higher levels, but at low levels at least, it's snooze inducing.

I am not sure you got my point.

1. No, going first is not always benefical, as you generally want the fireball thrower go first.
The fireball thrower also wants to go before the monsters. As long as the fighter isn't running in to where they want to drop it however, going before the fireball thrower doesn't have a downside. Going before the monsters is the important thing, and the better your bonus, the better the chance you have of doing that.

2. I spoke about a 5 point difference in initiative, not to hit. So I am confused why you speak about hitting. I also never implied any auto win?
I believe that you stated that a 5 point difference in initiative didn't mean you would automatically win it. I pointed out that a 5 point difference in attack rolls didn't mean you would automatically hit either, yet people still think a higher attack bonus is better than a low one.

I get the feeling you're underestimating the value of being able to use maneuvers at range though.

No, Im saying while you're off using manouvers at range, the casters are getting beat down.

You're not taking damage for the party. Your d10 hit dice, higher AC, and defensive buffs are not being used effectively.

As a martial, you want the monsters attacking you. You want them grouping in to fight you, and you want to be dictating the flow of the battlefield.

James Gasik

Supporter
I was able to protect the casters just fine. I'd use Goading Attack to lure them towards me (though I eventually switched to Demoralizing Attack since the DM seemed loath to make his monsters move), or Maneuvering Attack so they could get away from monsters. I wasn't happy with the temps handed out by rally at low levels, so I picked up Inspiring Leader as my third feat to grant temps before just about any fight.

If I won initiative, I would use Trip Attack to prevent enemies from being able to close, though I eventually swapped that out as well since we started fighting really big monsters towards the later stages of Storm King's Thunder.

Plus, since I had more hit points, I would usually stand between the monsters and the casters anyways. If they wanted to go around me, that was fine, but I even took Martial Adept for another superiority die and more maneuvers.

It wasn't until I ran out of dice that I was reduced to being a damage dealer. Which is never a bad thing to be either- a dead enemy isn't a threat to anyone. I should point out in AL groups I was in, almost every caster has really great defenses anyways- Cleric is a commonly taken class, and the few Wizards always took shield so I never needed to do more than this.

EDIT: and monsters didn't want to stand near the Clerics anyways once they got Spirit Guardians.

Remove ads