D&D General Are There Official Fantasy Religions That Have "'Heaven' By Community Judgement"

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Now, the idea that inspired this thread is of a religion that's main divine reward/"Heaven Promise" isn't actually decided by the deity or whatever thing the religion is worshipping/venerating, instead it's decided by the community as a whole that is a member of that religion.

So... by popularity contest"? Goodness, imagine the nature of your *everlasting afterlife were decided by a vote... death elections, campaigning, buying votes, people who didn't like you campaigning against you to get to darned to some eternal heck...

That sounds horrible.

Gnarlo

Gnome Lover
Supporter
Fury Road has the War Boys “witnessing” each other’s deaths to see if their ends are worthy or Mediocre; and Immortan Joe promises to personally carry Nux to Valhalla if he succeeds. Can’t get much more judgmental than your religion’s figurehead promising to carry you to heaven if you prove worthy.

aco175

Legend
I forget what TV show had an episode where the characters ended up on a world that everyone had likes on a badge or such. There could be a spiritual 'likes' where the community unwittily bless or curse the others as part of everyday life and the tally comes due when someone dies. Of course some would know how the deal works and offer 100 'likes' or 'unlikes' if you just give me gold.

MarkB

Legend
I forget what TV show had an episode where the characters ended up on a world that everyone had likes on a badge or such. There could be a spiritual 'likes' where the community unwittily bless or curse the others as part of everyday life and the tally comes due when someone dies. Of course some would know how the deal works and offer 100 'likes' or 'unlikes' if you just give me gold.
It rings a bell, vaguely. Possibly The Orville?

MarkB

Legend
To answer the OP, Klingon religion is kind-of like this. Your fate in the afterlife depends upon your level of honour, but in Klingon culture 'honour' is often equated with 'social acclaim' - so someone who dies after being publicly disgraced may be considered unworthy of their version of heaven even if they had acted honourably.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
So... by popularity contest"? Goodness, imagine the nature of your *everlasting afterlife were decided by a vote... death elections, campaigning, buying votes, people who didn't like you campaigning against you to get to darned to some eternal heck...

That sounds horrible.
I agree that it would be horrible, but would also be an interesting fantasy religion/culture, which is why I asked about it. The Tairnadal Elves of Eberron basically have this, so I was wondering if there were any other examples of cultures/religions like this in D&D worlds.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Perhaps you mean "the good place"?

aco175

Legend
I was thinking the Orville like what @MarkB thought.

1626720095956.png

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases