D&D 5E Are you going to buy the 5e Core Books?

Are you going to buy the 5e books when they are released?

• Absolutely!

Votes: 69 35.9%
  • Probably.

Votes: 44 22.9%
  • Eh, maybe...

Votes: 20 10.4%
  • Probably not

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • A resounding No!

Votes: 20 10.4%
  • Answer Hazy, ask again later.

Votes: 8 4.2%

• Poll closed .

Darth Illithid

First Post
I'll probably buy at least the Player's Handbook. I'm liking the looks of the latest playtest packet, and I'm starting up a PbP game this week, so I'll have a more concrete answer once I've actually played it a bit.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
What I've seen so far has convinced me that it's worth trying in detail, so I'll definitely pick up the initial core.

seti

First Post
Probably not. Based on what I've seen in the playtest packets, I don't think I want to purchase AD&D 2.5. I would like to see physical books, however. I'm sure that the illustration, design, and layout will be amazing. That's one thing WotC does really well.

If they release all the 'module' options they've promised I might think about it. But, the 'core' game just doesn't have enough PC options for a proper game, IMO.

Another serious consideration is other people. If a lot of people I know want to play it, I probably will be playing it.

steenan

Adventurer
Probably not. There are too many fun games available for $10-$20 to spend money on a game where the core books cost several times that - and we already know that some important parts of 5e will only come later in splats.

So, unless Next gets overwhelmingly good reviews after it's released (after a few months, when people had time to play it and find strong points and flaws), I'm not buying it.

delericho

Legend
Probably. I'll wait a while, and read some reviews of the finished product before I buy, though.

I also have a couple of deal-breakers - if it requires minis, if it requires any electronic tool, or if it requires any subscription, I'm out. I don't mind any of those things existing, nor do I mind if they're very, very nice-to-have. But if they're required, then I'm out.

Argyle King

Legend
Probably Not

That is my current vote. I don't dislike the game, but there's nothing compelling me to buy it right now either. I liked a lot of the earlier packets more than the more recent ones.

I'm trying to keep an open mind, and I plan on being involved in some playtest encounters at the local gaming store to see how I feel after more hands on experience. Right now, 5E is having a rough time competing for my dollars against some of the games I currently own. One concern I have about 5E is whether or not the game can support what I want out of the gate. My initial impression is that many of the things I want won't be available until quite a while after the game is released. I'm concerned about how many splats I'll need to buy to get the game to function the way I want it to. Don't get me wrong, I like modularity. I'm just not sure I like the model WoTC appears to be using to provide that modularity.

Mark Hope

Adventurer
Probably not. The combination of the ogl and the osr mean that I have tons of material to mod my game with and customise it to my liking. I've been running a houseruled PFRPG and am now running a modded AD&D1e - both scratch their respective itches really well. I'll have a look at the core books, same as I did for 4e, but if they don't offer me something awesome that I can't do myself (and so far I'm not seeing it), I'll pass.

Remove ads