D&D 5E Are you going to buy the 5e Core Books?

Are you going to buy the 5e books when they are released?

• Absolutely!

Votes: 69 35.9%
  • Probably.

Votes: 44 22.9%
  • Eh, maybe...

Votes: 20 10.4%
  • Probably not

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • A resounding No!

Votes: 20 10.4%
  • Answer Hazy, ask again later.

Votes: 8 4.2%

• Poll closed .

I voted absolutely. I started playing with AD&D back around 1994. I bought up big into 3E and 3.5E, but I didn't buy any 4E books.

This was mainly due to the fact that I was happy with the 3.5E rule set, was in the middle of a 3 year 3.5E campaign and also wanted to get some value out of the dozens of 3.XE D&D books that I had spent hundreds, if not thousands of dollars on.

Now I'm running another 3.5E campaign that still has a year or so to run. However, I feel like I've now got some good value out of my 3.XE books. Also, after running 3.5E for about 8 years, and especially at high levels (levels 15-20), the cracks in the system has well and truly started to appear.

Running the game at high levels just wasn't that much fun for me and it's not overly entertaining when yet another combat turns into a cakewalk due to Grease and Glitterdust.

So, while I can't guarantee my group will make the switch over to 5E (or D&D Next if you want to call it that), I'm definitely a lot more open to the switch this time around compared to when 4E was released.

wedgeski

Adventurer
Based on the playtests, the engagement of the developers and designers, the ongoing output from WotC including their excellent live-casts, and all the interesting discussion that goes on here, I'll have no hesitation in buying the core books.

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
I have no intention of buying 5th Edition.

I bought into 4th Edition and wound up playing and running the game a few times and not liking it at all. Now I still have the 4th Edition Gift set and it's just sitting there taking up space.

I'm pretty sure there's no fun that 5E can offer that some other FRPG cant already offer.

I hope other people enjoy the game, but for me there's been two brand "jump offs" that I've done in the past 10 years. That is to say two brands that I thought that I'd never divorce myself of.

DC Comics (walked away from them after the New 52 debut)
and
D&D (walked away after 4th Edition)

Even if I were going to walk away from Pathfinder (which I may wind up doing at some point) it wont be to go back to the D&D brand.

I will admit this much though, I'm a sucker for a well designed and good looking book or books. However, these days if I'm going to dump $60 on a book or two it HAS to be something that I'm going to wind up running or playing in. Otherwise? no sale.

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
It's also fair for me to say that the excitement that alot of people are having for 5E doesnt translate to me because while I loved 1E when I was playing it over 20 years ago it's not a set of rules that I'm eager to return to playing. AT. ALL.

So again happy for those people who loved AD&D and see a bit of that in 5E (although if you wanted to play AD&D why not just play AD&D? WOTC just reprinted the core rulebooks and the adventures are available via .PDF.) but that's not me. And if the game is going back to an lighter approach? That's not for me thanks.

Greg K

Legend
while I loved 1E when I was playing it over 20 years ago it's not a set of rules that I'm eager to return to playing. AT. ALL.

The same here. I would have left AD&D much earlier if it were not for 2e. 2e with its Specialty Priests, Kits (which I liked in concept more often than execution), PO: Combat and Tactics, PO: Spells and Magic along with 2e's emphasis on setting, kept me in the AD&D fold longer than I would have otherwise remained. However, the patchwork nature of AD&D's mechanics and some other things regarding AD&D, eventually, began to grate on my nerves and I left to other systems.

I think that this, for myself, is why 3e hit its high point with Unearthed Arcana. The core gave me the unified mechanics, unified experience chart, the skill system (with skill points) and ability scores for monsters that I wanted along with 2e style maneuvers. Unearthed Arcana brought back other elements that I liked including support for 3e's version of kits (i.e. class variants) which were first discussed in the 3.0 and 3.5 PHBs and pretty much ignored afterward. It also allowed for the non-berserking barbarian of 1e and several 2e kits. With UA and several DMG variants, I could run a more 2e style of game (as played by myself and the groups that I knew).

Don't me wrong. 3e, in my opinion has its issues including the following
  • Too many absolutes (SKR addressed it regarding 3e on his website covering much of the ground that I discussed in my pre-3e questionaire reply)
  • Default leveling is too fast.
  • Level Drain
  • XP Costs
  • Default Barbarian = Berserker (also, this in turn ruling out "Urban" based "ragers" despite examples in fiction unless the DM was willing to tailor the class)
  • Default cleric remained armored warrior priest with access to turn undead and entire cleric spell lists sucks compared to 2e specialty priests. Plus, it was, deliberately made overpowered.
  • The implementation of thr Druid's Wild Shape , Animal Companion. Natural spell.
  • The Monk (not its inclusion, but the class abilities are still too rigidly defined with little choice
  • Too many of the Wizard's limitations removed with some being made optional variants in the DMG
  • Too few skill points for several classes
  • Too many examples of skill DCs
  • Printing the "Common" standard design philosophy behind DCs in Dragon rather than in the PHB or DMG where it belonged
  • Default Multiclassing rules
  • Emphasis on PrCs and almost complete lack of class customization examples in supplements (until Unearthed Arcana)
  • Magic Item creation prices and ease.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
It's also fair for me to say that the excitement that alot of people are having for 5E doesnt translate to me because while I loved 1E when I was playing it over 20 years ago it's not a set of rules that I'm eager to return to playing. AT. ALL.

So again happy for those people who loved AD&D and see a bit of that in 5E (although if you wanted to play AD&D why not just play AD&D? WOTC just reprinted the core rulebooks and the adventures are available via .PDF.) but that's not me. And if the game is going back to an lighter approach? That's not for me thanks.

I've played some earlier edition in recent years and I find that, even though I loved it then, newer developments have spoiled me a bit and I want a little more mechanics behind some of the game elements. If D&D Next can harken back to those older editions while offering me some new benefits in a simpler structure than Pathfinder, then my friends and I will play D&D Next at least part of the time. I doubt it will replace Pathfinder for me since Paizo has worked so hard for my support and I don't see WotC succeeding at doing the same even if Next knocks it out of the metaphorical park.

Primal

First Post

Yeah, same here. I'm not sure I'd enjoy AD&D anymore, and I'm a Pathfinder guy now, anyway. I've invested so much time and money into PF that 5E/Next would have to be truly amazing and innovative to interest me. And based on what I've seen online, I don't think Next is not going to be my cup of tea. Not going to buy it, unless it's going to be dramatically different from the current playtest version.

Remove ads