Pathfinder 2E Are you moving from 5E to PF2?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
(A question for those planning to play PF2; if you’re not, this isn’t really for you - don’t threadcrap, please).

So you’re planning on playing PF2. While you are probably coming from PF1, is anybody coming from 5E?

Obviously, it’s not a permanent thing; you can play more than one game, try out others, all that stuff. But I was curious whether there’s a demographic out here who feel PF2 is offering something that they prefer to what 5E offers? Or at least hope that’s the case, in the absence of seeing the final game yet.

PF2 clearly isn’t an “advanced 5E” but I feel like it is kinda pitched as the “advanced mainstream fantasy RPG”. Is that how you see it?

In the past year I wrapped up a PF campaign, but also played a 5E campaign and two FFG Legend of the Five Rings campaigns. So it's less "switching game systems" as "trying the hip new thing to see how we like it."

Raith5

Adventurer
I hope to. I never played PF1 but I played 3.5/4/5E and I am interested in a game with more crunch than 5E. I think it is obviously good for the hobby to have another option.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I'm interested to try it but not sure I'll be able to find people to try it out.

Been a while since I've looked at the play test content so it may have change but it had some innovations I really liked such as the multiclassing feats. It would be so easy to make a fighter mage or mystic theurge for instance.

ccs

41st lv DM
Ask me again in about a year. :)

Honestly it's way too early to tell.
1) I haven't been keeping up to date on the play test. I figured I'd just pick up the finished product & judge it then rather than worry about it's evolution.
2) My 5e circle is pretty oblivious to PF2s approach. 2 of them vaguely know about it. The group as a whole though I think could be persuaded to give it a try.
3) My PF circle, while not being adverse to other systems, has given PF2 an apathetic shrug so far. They're perfectly happy with PF1 (as am I). They'll be a harder sell than the 5e group.
4) Barring a TPK, or just flat out quitting, neither groups campaign is anywhere near an ending. I expect both to run for another 12-18 months.

So. I'll pick my copy of PF2 up from my FLGS once I return from GenCon (because honestly I won't have any time to read it during the con, so getting it there would be pointless. And more expensive.) & have months to digest it.
Then I'll pass my book around to the other players & we'll see how it goes.

I'm playing 3.5 right now, and we use some PF1 content on occasion, simply because it is compatible. I'm curious to see what PF2 is like, and I wonder if elements of it are still compatible with 3.5. If it's not compatible, but still better, I might give it a spin.

Nilbog

Snotling Herder
My plan is to switch my Rise of the Runelords campaign from 5e to PF2, for a couple of reasons, I'm hoping it will be easier to convert from PF1 to PF2 than from PF1 to 5e, saving me as the DM some effort, but I think more importantly we have been playing 5e pretty much all the way through since its release, and while its a great system we are looking to try something with a little more crunch.

We briefly tried 13th age, and while its a great system there were too many things in the system stopping it gelling with us (Icons, Random fighter actions) we were also tempted to go back to 4e, but non of us has a character builder subscription so that was out. Really hoping PF2 delivers

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases