Pathfinder 2E Are you moving from 5E to PF2?

Markh3rd

Explorer
Heck no! I'll probably play both. More 5E locally (the game store prefers d&d 5e) and will play pf2 where I can. Probably conventions like PAX or Megacon. I'm still on the fence about running a game of pf2. I have players that much preferred 5e over PF1 so not sure if they will be willing to try the plaguestone adventure but if they want to try it I will run it.

My Personal preferences lie somewhere in between the intersection of PF2 , 5e and shadow of the demon lord. It depends on what i'm doing. if i were to sart a new campaign i would play pf2. If i would do one shots, 5e is the way to go. If i ever wanted to do a e6 style, dark game sodtl is my jam. So i would say my standard preference is pf2 now, but I'd be happy to play any of these three or run them at any time.

After getting the chance to look at it, I can say I'd definitely play it (which is more than I could say about 3.X/PF1) with the right DM, but making it my D&D of choice is something that won't happen. In fact, from a certain perspective, I find it even more overwhelming than PF1. Also, their recent announcement of four more core classes before the end of 2020 won't help to change my mind... xD

mrfish

First Post
As soon as I get the chance to run some d&d, I’ll definitely make the switch. I was getting bored with 5e, as a GM and especially as a player. I find it hard to pin-point exactly why, I hear people complaining about the simplified skill system, lack of options and general blandness of the combat system, fewer class/level options etc. Perhaps its a combination of those reasons as well as not really appreciating the published sourcebooks (though some of the adventures are decent). 5e is in many ways a good system, I just don’t think its for me.

niklinna

satisfied?
I wouldn't say I'm moving to PF2 from anything, but I will say I hate 5e, and PF2 addresses some of my specific hatreds, in particular the package-deal nature of classes that lock you into arbitrary bundles of subclass features. In PF2, where features are bundled together, it has so far in my reading been well motivated and sensible, providing a sense of unity to contrast with the humongous selection of unbundled feats. In 5e, everything feels like a straitjacket; in PF2, I have a touchstone of set feats from which to expand upon to my heart's content.

I also really like the action economy and unified formula for saves, skills, attacks, and such. Although the latter is still too complicated with numbers, and the training level thing came out an awful mess on the character sheet (which is a general mess to begin with), you do figure out everything in the same way, which is quite nice.

As for organization, even with the chapter tabs, too much info is spread around. The Alchemist class alone referred me to four other parts of the book for fundamental info, and sadly, the PDF doesn't include any hyperlinks.

Anyhow, I am curious to find a group to try PF2 with, even if only a one-shot. I have zero interest in 5e.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I'm tempted. I find the lack of options in combat (especially as a DM for monsters) boring. That said, I moved recently and would be happy to play either!

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Yes and no. I’m probably going to play some PF2 because it offers stuff I can’t get from 5e. But I’m also not planning to stop playing 5e any time soon.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Tough to say. All my current games look to be running well into 2021, so we'll make a decision at that point.

kenada

Legend
Supporter
The one-shot went well, so we’ll be converting from 5e to PF2. We’ll be converting our current campaign over, which will either be a soft-reboot or a retcon (haven’t decided yet).

Remove ads