Are you playing the type of game you want?

dreaded_beast

First Post
Is it possible to play in the perfect or near perfect game?

Would you say your game is the perfect or near perfect game?

Perfect meaning that it has all the qualities you look for in a game, how the DM runs the game, how the players play, the right amount of magic, combat, etc.

I can honestly say that the game I am currently in is the best I have encountered and probably will be for a long time. There are many things that I love about how the game is run, excluding my meta-game interactions with other members of the group. However, there are still a few things that bother me about how the game is run and handled, such as alignment and what is acceptable for said alignment, as an example.

I realize that everyone has their own views and opinions on how a game should be run and played.

For those of you that have read my previous post, I have decided to stay with my group. The love of DnD in general has kept me going, regardless of my personal feelings towards other members of the group.

This past Sunday afternoon, I realized I put a lot of time and energy into my cleric. During the course of the week I would still think of what spells to memorize, what combinations to use, things for my story, etc. I still enjoy the game, even though I may not enjoy the company of the people I play with as much as I used to.

diaglo

Adventurer
dreaded_beast said:
Is it possible to play in the perfect or near perfect game?

yes. An Original D&D(1974) campaign. but that was years ago. :sad:

Would you say your game is the perfect or near perfect game?

currently NO and never will be as long as D&D deteriorates further and further from its roots.

Davelozzi

Explorer
Not me, I have fun running my game but I wish I could get it to be less combat focused. Also, I have 9 players and I will never do that again. I think 4, maybe 5 would be ideal.

JoeBlank

Explorer
diaglo said:
currently NO and never will be as long as D&D deteriorates further and further from its roots.
Funny how tastes differ. I play in the same game with diaglo, Olgar Shiverstone's campaign, and would have to say that it is near perfect. The game is set in the FR, but with a reduced level of magic (closer to standard 3.0/3.5), and none of the high-powered NPCs.

Of course, I think diaglo's complaints are with the game system (i.e. anything other than Original D&D), and not with the magic level, amount of combat v. role-play, etc.

AFGNCAAP

First Post
Nope--haven't been playing in a while, actually.

However, even when I was playing somewhat regularly, the campaigns weren't that good anymore--great concepts and ideas, but more "outside" factors hindered the game (player attendance, starting late, & lots of other factors). And, when the games started, there still seemed to be a general lack of enthusiasm and interest from the players. The games got off-track very easily, & typically wound up being derailed.

Since my break in gaming, I'm going to see if things may be different, though a skeptical side of me thinks that it won't.

Unfortunately, I'm not really playing the game that I want--I typically run them rather than play them. It'd be nice for a change to play one, but I'm not too sure how things may turn out.

diaglo

Adventurer
JoeBlank said:
Of course, I think diaglo's complaints are with the game system (i.e. anything other than Original D&D), and not with the magic level, amount of combat v. role-play, etc.

too much magic.

leveling too fast.

but those are problems with the new game system not the campaign. ;)

Wombat

First Post
I don't think my "Perfect System" exists.

I certainly isn't D&D; then again, neither is it GURPS, Rifts, Shadowrun, Champions, World of Darkness, Agone, Mechanical Dream, Star Wars, The Riddle of Steel or anything else I have seen in my 25+ years of gaming.

For me, the two best games are Ars Magica and Over the Edge, but even they are not "perfect".

I am stilly waiting to find and/or design a game that I can set in a not-quite-Renaissance Italy with accurate swordplay and magic that actually fits the era, as opposed to "mechanics magic" or "weapons platform magic", a lot of social interaction, and hordes of swashbuckling.

But while I wait, I will gladly play many other games :D

BSF

Explorer
OK, I just wound up a campaign. Finished last weekend. This is the first time in a few years where I haven't been planning the next thing. Kind of weird. :) Of course, I am kind of planning the next campaign, but I don't have a "deadline".

That being said, I have spent the last two years running a game that is not exactly what I wanted to run. But, I have been using it as an excercise to groom the players and tighten up all of our understanding of game mechanics so I can run the game I want to.

Don't get me wrong, I have had a lot of fun with this last game. But, it was much less political and had much less characterization than I would like to try to run. This next campaign will be my most ambitious effort yet to create a living world that the characters can interact with. I have a feeling that I will either do pretty good, or fall completely on my face.

Will it be perfect? Almost certainly not. Will it be great? I sure hope so. Will it be fun? That's my goal and that is the most important thing for me.

Crothian

First Post
Ya, my game is damn near perfect. I run the type of game I want and my players are all on the same page. It's great when it all fits together so nicely. :D

Remove ads