Votes: 114 39.3%
  • I'm back after a period of no gaming

Votes: 51 17.6%
  • I'm not playing 5E and this thread is not for me

Votes: 32 11.0%

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
This is a question specifically for those currently playing 5E. Not for those not playing 5E.

I was wondering how much of a return to D&D there was, either from other games or from a place of no RPG-ing at all, as opposed to continuous play through editions. I know a lot of people played 1E, 2E, 3E, 4E, and now 5E, or jumped on along the way. Others jumped off along the way and may now be coming back.

So if you're RETURNING to D&D from another game or from no gaming at all, let us know! What were you doing before? What brought you back?

Last edited:

exile

First Post
No. On the one hand, I never left. On the other, given group and personal preferences and time restraints, it looks like I am going to keep on playing Pathfinder to the (almost complete) exclusion of D&D.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I guess you left off the "I am not going back option". This being in the 5E forum may have something to do with that.

All of my current players took some extended break in gaming at some point, and most skipped one (or) more editions.

Includes the one, just recruited!, who is coming back with 5E.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yeah, it's in the 5E forum deliberately because it's a question specifically for 5E players.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm returning from not being involved in TTRPGs for years; was involved in an early 4E game that fizzled out, but had been into 3.5 for years before that. PathFinder was an uninteresting option to me at the time, and remains so now.

As to what got me interested, funny story there. I went to the Lego Movie with my wife and her younger siblings, and they had an ad for D&D KREO before the film. That made me wonder what was up with D&D these days, so I came to ENworld and discovered there was a play test going on.

Selkirk

First Post
im returning after not having played for a long time (20 years). i love rpg's but could never find a system that fit...i looked at pathfinder extensively but the sheer volume of sourcebooks and relative (to 5e) complexity of character creation turned me off. started up a 5 e game about 3 months ago and im loving it . we can take as a given that players and dm make the game (whatever system it is) but still the phb (despite its stodginess) inspires me to make characters/envision settings/and just have fun.

i had serious doubts as to how the 'engine' would work in game(the balance between 'theater of the mind and crunch') - it works wonderfully..i legit couldn't believe how much damn fun i was having :cool:. that being said ... combats are still pretty long ^^;. but overall the game is just a delight.

GlassJaw

Hero
Played 3ed a ton. Skipped 4E. Skipped Pathfinder. Mostly played Savage Worlds the past few years, now SW and 5E.

5E absolutely brought me back to D&D.

Remove ads