D&D General Are You Seriously Planning to Stop Playing and/or Running D&D Over The Recent OGL Developments?

Are You Seriously Planning to Stop Playing and/or Running D&D Over he Recent OGL Developments?

• Yes

Votes: 95 43.8%
  • No

Votes: 122 56.2%

delericho

Legend
Yes, I'll stop buying, playing, and running D&D in any form.

That said, that's a fairly easy decision for me to take - my current group is about to break up, and I was already considering just stopping gaming at that point anyway. This just solidifies the decision.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I'll happily keep playing older editions of D&D. I'm a bit soured on 5e and so I'm not going to play it in the near future, but I'm likely to revisit this down the line. 6e? Hard nope.

HaroldTheHobbit

Adventurer
We have D&D on a multiyear pause anyway cause of burnout. The current situation, with under-monetization and then the OGL, just make me not want to buy or use WotC/Hasbo products in any way or form. Corporate profit is fine. Corporate Mammon-like greed is disgusting.

Shiroiken

Legend
There's basically zero chance I stop playing/running D&D over this. Based on the direction of the playtest, I'm pretty happy with how 1D&D will look, so I'll probably pick up at least the PHB. Since it's a revised edition that's backwards compatible, I should be able to use my existing books instead of the revised ones. I haven't bought any books since Ghosts of Saltmarsh, so I'm already not likely to buy most of the products anyway.

TwiceBorn2

Adventurer
I'm gonna let you in on a little secret:
I don't need Hasbro or Wizards of the Coast to play D&D. Nobody does.

So that's a solid NO from my camp.

What Nick said.

I may reduce my spending on WotC D&D 5E products and might even skip OneD&D just like I skipped 4E. But stop playing? Nah, I've got a healthy collection of BECMI, AD&D 1.0/2.0, D&D 3.0/3.5 and 5E, more than I can play/run in a lifetime. I have a library full of adventures I have yet to run (and that my friends would like to experience), so we'll keep on playing.

That said, I also have no shortage of other RPGs and board games in my collection that I've never played, and I look forward to getting them to the table.

I also wish nothing but the best to Paizo and the other OGL publishers that decide to break completely free from the WotC behemoth.

EDIT: I have never purchased anything via D&D Beyond, and the latest developments have furthered my resolve to continue to not do so.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
As I have written elsewhere on this, I buy product that I think will be useful/entertaining and I love 5e and do not plan to stop. I may slow down future purchases but the honest fact is that the current likely alternatives to D&D out there, I either do not care for or my player are not interested.
I do not see that changing much.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Not really.

5e is closest to how I like to play. I just won't buy WOTC books that I barely buy as is. I will just supplement it with the stuff I already have like LU.

Aldarc

Legend
No. However, One D&D does not seem different enough for me to bother switching over and there are other RPGs out there that I have been eager to play.

If we are talking 5e and OneD&D, then yes. I was already on the way out (the only 5e product I bought in the recent years was LevelUp) and the OGL fiasco sealed the deal. However, if we include older versions and retro clones (Old-School Essentials, Swords&Wizardry, Hyperborea), that's still on the table.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads