D&D General Are You Seriously Planning to Stop Playing and/or Running D&D Over The Recent OGL Developments?

Are You Seriously Planning to Stop Playing and/or Running D&D Over he Recent OGL Developments?

• Yes

Votes: 95 43.8%
  • No

Votes: 122 56.2%

Not as such no, but there is a point after OneD&D comes out and matures a little where my various groups will presumably be inclined to migrate to it, and, even though I just think it's a needless and inferior rehash of 5e from what I've seen so far I probably would have capitulated to that switch. Now I almost certainly won't.

It's not just that WotC has murdered my good will, but its also that I think there's going to be a banner number of alternative games in the near future specifically catering to refugee 5e-philes like myself (heck I'll probably take a stab at creating one myself at some point).

But I'll probably also just keep playing 5e with the many barely cracked books I already own. I get to run so few of the characters I dream up that I think I'm still a solid five to ten years away from really getting bored with the options available in the system.

wedgeski

Adventurer
Not even close. I have huge amounts of time and joy vested in my current campaign. No other system does it for us. I can say with certainty that at no point in the last 22 years has anyone at my table said, "Well sure, I'll play D&D, but only so long as Wizards never changes the terms of the OGL."

I just checked out the costs of the Pathfinder Core Rulebook.

I did that more because I would like to support Paizo's announcement of the "ORC" (Open RPG Creative License) that came out today, and not so much because the OGL 1.1 would affect me. I am certainly going to keep on rolling dice, but don't mind switching systems if the costs are affordable and the rest of our group doesn't mind switching either (most of them are still unaware of what is happening). The OGL does not affect me because I only need some core rulebooks and I homebrew my own adventures and monsters. I don't buy a lot of (3rd party or WotC) content books, and only occasionally some minis or dice. Good thing none of us have a DDB subscription, so any switch will be rather painless.

But I still had to vote "no", because we won't stop playing now. Just no more money for WotC from us. I'll make sure all products (e.g. minis, dice) are 3rd party.

guachi

Hero
I won't stop playing but I will stop buying WotC product. WotC is doing this (especially the digital push) because they want money and more money. I won't be giving it to them.

And because I'm petty I'll post images of receipts in replies to WotC on social media of all the money I'm spending on non-WotC RPG products.

Not even close. I have huge amounts of time and joy vested in my current campaign. No other system does it for us. I can say with certainty that at no point in the last 22 years has anyone at my table said, "Well sure, I'll play D&D, but only so long as Wizards never changes the terms of the OGL."
Has anyone, at any table, ever said that?

Yet some people are very annoyed about it - including me, and I don't even play 5th edition. I mostly play Pathfinder, and I'm worried about the possibility of losing access to Archive of Nethys. It's much easier to search on the website than to trawl through all the books. Maybe I am worrying unnecessarily; presumably WotC will have to start answering questions eventually and maybe the change will only affect new products.

Also, I support open gaming as a concept (as a Pathfinder fan, that's not too surprising) as I think it is good for the industry, and also good for Wizards of the Coast. So this latest move seems like it will benefit nobody.

That's still no reason to stop playing the game you enjoy. I was annoyed at the way the transition from 3.5 to 4th edition was handled, but it didn't stop me playing D&D. It did stop me giving WotC any money for long time (and since then I've never been able to find a copy of Complete Champion or Monster Manual V at a reasonable price so my 3.5 collection remains incomplete) and the current situation has destroyed whatever appetite I had for checking out OneD&D.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases