• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Are you sick of the Swordcoast?

Are you sick of the Swordcoast

gyor

Legend
I wouldn't mind something even from FR with an Arabian Nights feel to it. Kind of want a wild romp in the desert.

Zakhara, Calimshan, City of Brass (technically in the plane of fire, but it's appeared in FR novels), Antoach Desert, the ruins of the Bakkar Empire in the Raurin desert. All examples of Arabian Nights feel, to varying degrees, each is still different from the others.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
If I were WotC I'd start my Arabian feels experiment with something smaller like Calimshan and work my way up to a whole Arabian Nights Al Quadim thing. I'm uncertain about the market demand for that.

gyor

Legend
If I were WotC I'd start my Arabian feels experiment with something smaller like Calimshan and work my way up to a whole Arabian Nights Al Quadim thing. I'm uncertain about the market demand for that.

Al Qadim was very, very success line in it's time. It would be again.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Al Qadim was very, very success line in it's time. It would be again.
Then is not now though, and if I were WotC and was looking out across our turbulent political waters, I think I'd probably just develop something else. Too many landmines for it to be a solo release IMO, although you could maybe fold it into something else. Personally, I don't want it it at all before they've properly fleshed out the rest of the Realms though, nor do want it in favor of either Dark Sun or Planejammer. Not that it isn't cool, it's just a fair ways down my list

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
So, if you're question is am I sick of it in my own games? No, always happy to return there.

Am I sick of new products released always focused in the Sword Coast? Yes.

However, I don't find the rest of the Forgotten Realms incredibly interesting. Magic settings do diverse non-European settings a lot better than the older FR products do which rely heavily on stereotypes.

If I'd have my way, I'd like Dark Sun, Spelljammer, Planescape. Those would provide plenty of options any table could use.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
I am very happy forgotten realms fans are getting what they want. But I would really like to see something else.
To be fair to WotC, they did just open up another setting with the Eberron book. And Ghosts of Saltmarsh dipped a toe in Greyhawk. And before that, there was the Ravnica book.

There are also tons of awesome third-party settings.

Or is there a specific older WotC-owned setting that you're wishing for?

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
To be fair to WotC, they did just open up another setting with the Eberron book. And Ghosts of Saltmarsh dipped a toe in Greyhawk. And before that, there was the Ravnica book.

There are also tons of awesome third-party settings.

Or is there a specific older WotC-owned setting that you're wishing for?

And Curse of Strahd/Barovia takes place in "somewhere" that's its own special pocket universe, isn't it?

Remove ads