D&D General "Argument-Stopping Protocols" -- please advise!

Hi, our 5e group has been playing for over a year.

Could y'all give advice, and share experience, about protocols for preventing arguments, and stopping arguments (once they've started)?

What specific protocols (customs/practices/agreements) work to mitigate and end arguments at the D&D table?

Thanks for any help with this.

-Travis
Columbia County, New York

Last edited:

practicalm

Explorer
Ensure there is some discussion of this as part of session 0.

Rules arguments: GM has final say for the session. Discuss it with them after the session is over if there is some real problem

Political arguments: GM needs to put their foot down and not allow RL to intrude into the game

Personal disagreements: Challenged party can choose weapons and decide if its to the death or just first blood. /s
Edit: I guess to the Pain is also available.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
We need more details. But often just having the gm go silent & start staring people in the eyes with a silent subtle gesture at the argument if any players being stared at look confused starts triggering those danger something us wrong hairs on the back of people's neck pretty quick

Assuming we're talking about rules arguments, what I usually say is "I am going to rule this way right now, but will do some research before our next session and come back with my official ruling then." I'll generally go with the more lenient but still likely (i.e., no dwarf flapping their arms so well that they can fly) ruling for the temporary one, then check Sage Advice and read the applicable sections of the book after the session.

Oofta

Legend
In general
  • The DM is the final arbiter of the rules. We can discuss after the game if you have a problem with a ruling at most you have roughly 1 minute at the table to explain before we move on.
  • If it's player discussion, I let people know that if they are arguing IRL their PCs are also arguing and potentially attracting unwanted attention.
  • I also just shut down player arguments. Life is too short, if they want to continue to bicker they can take it outside after the game.
  • I also establish some simple rules in my session 0. Don't play a loaner. Don't play someone who's going to antagonize other PCs, "it's what my character would do" is never an excuse.

jgsugden

Legend
Is the source a single player, or is it everyone?

If it is one player, the DM should sit them down and say, "This is not working. We can't have this strife. Please fix it. If you can't, I'm going to ask the group how they want to proceed with a recoemndation that you leave the group."

If it is everyone... there are better groups out there. You leave.

Shiroiken

Legend
It really depends on the argument.

For rules arguments, I'd allow the player to make their case once, then make my ruling. After the session, the rule will be looked up, and the correct ruling will be used going forward. If there is no specifics in the rules, then my ruling will stand for the entire campaign.

For player arguments unrelated to the game, I shut those down in a hurry. If it's related to the game, but not the exact moment (such as planning or discussing possibilities), I try not to push things unless it distracts completely from the game (I can usually continue during these discussions). If there's an argument about the current situation, I generally give about 10 minutes then force a vote (I hold tiebreaker), because otherwise the game cannot progress.

Oh, and we have a rule to help prevent edgelord characters make decisions for the group without their permission. If a character is about to do something that another player feels will impact the group negatively, they can call a time-out. The players will discuss the situation, and the player cannot take the action unless the majority of the group agrees (no ties).

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Hi, our 5e group has been playing for over a year.

Could y'all give advice, and share experience, about protocols for preventing arguments, and stopping arguments (once they've started)?

What specific protocols (customs/practices/agreements) work to mitigate and end arguments at the D&D table?

Thanks for any help with this.

-Shane T.
Columbia County, New York

Next time they argue - threaten to feed the one arguing to the rest of them. Then next time he has to miss make sure you prepare some home cooked burgers. They will never argue again!

Said in jest.

If you're getting into a lot of arguments, there's an underlying issue. The best solution is to tease out and address that, rather than go after the symptom.

If it's rules arguments, it could be that the people at the table have different understandings of some fundamental assumption like 'how often should rules be tossed out' or 'what the rules are supposed to be doing' or even 'which rulebooks are we using'. If you're ruling by the intent of the rules rather than the wording of them, you need to make this clear as soon as possible, because that requires people reading the rules differently than just reading the text as it is.

If the players are quoting book rules at you a lot - you need to learn the book rules or learn to trust the players on this stuff. Don't go against the established rules on a whim - it's better to maintain consistency overall than it is to throw away consistency for the sake of one scene.

If you find you're changing the rules or needing to make up new rules on the fly rather often - you're using the wrong ruleset. Maybe it's time to look for other games that are designed to run the kind of game you all are playing.

If the players are arguing about what to do, that's a teamwork issue - it's not 'not the dm's problem' - it's dragging the game down for everyone - but it's not something the dm can resolve by fiat. It requires the team coming together.

If it's one player being disruptive - you need to have a conversation with that player - the game is a lot more fun when everyone's puling in the same direction.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases