Armor absorbing Damages

sepulchrave

First Post
Weapons with 20/x2 crits have no penetration.

Like maces, for example. Or morning stars. Or light flails.

:rolleyes:

I think that you're probably better off giving a value to each weapon. It's pretty simple to come up with an intuitive system.

Malin Genie

First Post
If plate provides DR 4, an average sword blow that hits a (relatively) vulnerable part (remember it still provides +4 AC, representing the fact that a slash deflected by the breastplate or other reinforced bits won't really count) still only does 40% of its usual damage. Without completely redesigning the weapon and armour system, I think that provides a reasonable simulation of the idea that a plate-armoured fighter will be hurt, but able to take several blows where one or two would cripple an unarmoured fighter.

Dougal DeKree

First Post
armor TAKING damage

...hi...

i just would like to include a thought that is always most disturbing to me. All this discussion is about armor doing this and protecting that - please, can anyone of you truly say his char(s) have dents and holes in their armor after a battle? most likely no. IF armor is to reduce/absorb damage, then have the armor also TAKE damage! Regarding this i liked the "structural damage capacity" from the palladium system. An armor simply gets torn apart, when hit by to much damage.

Consider it, will you?

Dougal DeKree, Gnomish Illusionist

MythandLore

First Post
Hello,
Just droppin' a link to look at.
It's just a bunch O' Guys choppin stuff up to see what happens.
http://www.thehaca.com/spotlight/TestCutting/TestCuttingEvent2.htm

Anyway, just wanted to add a little to this, heavy armor was very difficult to defeat with a weapon for the most part, suprisingly even chain.
If you read old fighting documents, lots of it was about grappling when in full armor.
(I ad a link to scans of an old manual, ubt I missplaced it.)
I also read an account (in a book, sorry no link) of two major warrior dudes fighting in very very heavy (chain) for a very long time, nether being able to hurt the other.
In the end one was able to grab a hold of the other's armor and lift enuff to make a hole for him to slide his sword in.

BTW if anyone does a system in which armor takes damage, keep in mind weapons would too, by most accounts swords are beaten dull and snap long before heavy armor begins to fail or a good sheild begins to crack.

Ooo! Ooo! LOL!
Here's a clip of a guy snaping a sword. :)
http://www.thehaca.com/Videos/sword_break01.avi
http://www.thehaca.com/Videos/sword_break02.avi
Boy does this guy cracks me up. :)

Hi MythandLore mate! :)

thanks for the link and the movies, both very interesting - I agree the guy seemed a bit over-enthusiastic when he rushed back again to attack the treant ( ;) ) with the broken sword.

Bob Aberton

First Post
What about this?

(damage taken) - (armor's hardness) - (Armor's Hp/inch as per PHB) = effective damage taken (damage left after applying hardness but before applying HPs of armor is converted to subdual damage because the force of the blow is transmitted through the armor even if the weapon itself does not penetrate)

The weapons specifically designed to pierce armor ignore hardness (these weapons include Heavy crossbow bolts, bodkin arrows, and military picks), but DO NOT IGNORE HPS.

Bludgeoning weapons ignore armor HPs, BUT DO NOT IGNORE ARMOR HARDNESS.

So, if Joe the fighter in his Full Plate gets hit with a sword for 15 points of damage, he only takes 5 subdual damage (15 - Hardness 10 - HPs 30 = 0 lethal damage, 5 subdual)

But, if he is only wearing Leather armor, and he takes 15 points of damage, he takes 2 lethal, 7 subdual damage*
(15 - 5 Hardness - 5 HPs = 2 lethal, 7 subdual)

*I actually don't know the Hardness/Hps of Leather Armors...Does anyone know? I'm guessing its somewhere between Paper and Wood, but I don't know...

edit: after beating the HPs of an armor suit, all other attacks ignore the HPs of the armor, BUT NOT THE HARDNESS, because it leaves a big ass hole in the armor, making it easier to stick a weapon into...
anyway, my numbers in the examples are prolly a bit screwy, but you get the idea....

Last edited:

Armor taking damage and bludgeoning weapons

In my house rules, criticals also provide for special effects besides double damage. Some of the special effects allow for free sunder attempts (aka, no attack of oppurtunity) against weapons or armor. This way, the armor can get damaged.

My current table (a work in progess) looks something like this:
1-3 Legs Combatant loses 5’ from movement rate and takes a –1 penalty to climb, swim, jump, ride, tumble, balance, move silent, reflex saves, dex. Checks.
4-5 Primary Arm Combatant takes a cumulative –2 penalty to all attack rolls and skill that use the primary arm
6-7 Secondary Arm Combatant takes a cumulative –2 penalty to all attack rolls and skill that use the secondary arm
8-9 Tripped Oppenent gets a free trip attack for the round
10 Disarmed Oppenent gets a free disarm attack for the round. If unarmed, treat as a primary arm wound.
11 Weapon Sundered Opponent gets a free Sunder attack for the round against the primary weapon. If unarmed, treat as a primary arm wound.
12 Shield Sundered Opponent gets a free Sunder attack against the secondary weapon or shield. If no weapon/shield, treat as a secondary arm wound.
13 Armor Damaged Opponent gets a free Sunder attack against the armour. If successful, the armor rating is reduced by 1. If unarmored, treat as a body wound.
14 Head Opponent is stunned for 1 round. Make a Fortitude Save (DC 15) or be knocked unconscious.
15-20 Body Combatant suffers a cumulative –1 to all rolls.

For any of the attacks which impose penalties against a character, the attack must inflict damage>armor. However, bludgeoning weapons can get the special effect benefits even if the roll does less damage than the armor.

Spyritwind

First Post
I'll have to create a home page on Yahoo, or some thing some day to post these rules for all, but for now I'll give you an idea of my system which covers some of the concerns mentioned already.

One, it does not require charts once you have the basic system in your head, but it would be good if just the DM had it. The player would just put 3 numbers by each of the weapons his/her character has. "Longsword: 1/0/0" Thats it.

It allows for greater penetration of heavier armor with certain weapons without destroying the usefullness of light armor.

Any weapons smaller than "small" is treated as the "small" column.

The column to the left represents the modifier's to the various armor types based on the weapons size, usually vs heavy armor. Some times this number is stepped down a notch, or revesred for light armor. The bottom row is to particular armor categories regardless of weapon size.

Sword (slashing) weapons are good vs light, or non armored targets and get a +1 for the Light category. The Greatsword gets a +1 agains heavy and medium armor, but looses it's edge vs light armor types do to the greater unweildiness of the weapon due to size.

What it comes down to is you'll need to tweak these to fit your needs, but it gives you a standard to base all weapons on. These charts also keep the adjustments within a pretty tight range so one weapon isn't too uber.

* Slash Light Medium Heavy
-1 Sickle Small 1 0 -1
0 L Sword Medium 1 0 0
1 G Sword Large 0 1 1
1 0 0

In between slashing swords and blundgeoning weapons.

* Chop Light Medium Heavy
-1 H Axe Small 0 0 0
0 B Axe Medium 0 1 1
1 G Axe Large -1 1 2
0 0 1

* Blunt Light Medium Heavy
-1 Lt Mace Small 0 1 1
0 Mace Medium 0 1 2
1 Maul Large -1 2 3
0 1 2

Hafted piercing. (same as blunt)

* H-Pierce Light Medium Heavy
-1 Lt Pick Small 0 1 1
0 Hvy Pick Medium 0 1 2
1 Mattock Large -1 2 3
0 1 2

Thrust piercing.

* T-Pierce Light Medium Heavy
-1 S Sword Small 1 1 -1
0 H Spear Medium 1 1 0
1 Spear Large 0 2 1
1 1 0

Okay, monks get hosed a bit, but then again ... a fist at full plate?

* Unarm Light Medium Heavy
-1 Halfling Small 0 -2 -3
0 Human Medium 0 -1 -2
1 Ogre Large -1 0 -1
0 -1 -2

Wood, or other "soft" blunt weapons when comparred to metal.

* Wood Light Medium Heavy
-1 Sap/Whip Small 0 0 -1
0 Club Medium 0 0 0
1 G Club Large -1 1 1
0 0 0

Wooden Shield Light Medium Heavy
-1 Buckler Small 0 0 -1
0 Small Sh Medium 0 0 0
1 Large Sh Large 0 1 1
0 0 0

Metal Shield Light Medium Heavy
-1 Buckler Small 0 0 0
0 Small Sh Medium 0 0 1
1 Large Sh Large 0 1 2
0 0 1

My overall desire was for there to be a difference between weapon types and various armors. I wanted there to be a reason for characters to wield some thing other than a sword. (okay I know mathematically a 20 X 3 weapon is more or less equal to a 19 X 2, but ... from what I've seen the increased threat range is much better in actual game play)

I wanted a speck more of realism, but I had some game mechanic considerations as well. One, I opted for certain weapons to do particularly well vs heavier armor types without making light armor uselsss. (A couple of weapons do get a +1 bonus towards lighter armor types though).

Maybe it would be more realistic for plate armor to be nearly negligable against a two handed maul, but I also wanted to keep within the spirit of the "+2 to -2" circumstance bonus of the game which I did for the most part.

I also took into consideration how the weapons were used and against what armor types. Sword were great agains unarmored and light armor types. Thrust piercing weapons such as spears primarily or perhaps an estoc would go through chain by seperating the links pretty easily. Bludgeoning and picks against heavy armor. Many a knight dropped his sword and pulled an axe off his horse when he went on foot against other knights as well since his sword wouldn't work very well.

You'll have to consider a few weapons individually also. For instance the Rapier. Listed as a medium weapon due to it's length, but it's finesable and does only 1-6 points of damage. Realistically a dagger would penetrate heavy armor better than it since a dagger has a broader, thicker base and a short blade to hold up to striking heavy armor. The long, thin blade of a rapier would snap, or deflect pretty easily. Therefore, I gave the rapier a -1 to heavy armor even though it's category is a Medium Thrust Piercing Weapon.

Rapier 20 1d6 1/1/-1 18x2 3 P

Many double weapons although considered large due to the fact you need both hands to wield them are not wielded like a traditional two handed weapon and should be placed on the medium category for these purposes.

Quarterstaff 1d6 0/0/0 20x2 4 B

Armor AC Max Check Arcane
Category Bonus Dex Pen Fail. Spd.

Light
Padded 1 8 0 5% 30/20
Leather 2 6 0 10% 30/20
Lt Hide 2 4 -2 20% 30/20
St Leather 3 5 -1 15% 30/20
Courbouilli3 5 -1 15% 30/20
Lt Scale 3 4 -2 20% 30/20
Chain Sh. 4 4 -2 20% 30/20

Medium
Hide 3 3 -4 20% 20/15
H. Courboulli4 3 -3 20% 20/15
Scale Mail 4 3 -4 20% 20/15
Brigandine5 3 -3 30% 20/15
Lamellar 5 3 -4 30% 20/15
Chainmail 6 2 -5 30% 20/15
Breastplate 6 3 -4 25% 20/15

Heavy
Splint Mail 7 0 -7 40% 20/15
Banded Mail 7 1 -6 35% 20/15
Half Plate 8 0 -7 40% 20/15
Full Plate 9 1 -6 35% 20/15

I have weight and cost also of course, but didn't fit. These are my 3 categories for light medium and heavy armor in regards to encumburance, but with my system with the weapons Light is amror protection of 1-3, medium is 4-6 and heavy is 7+. This puts hide in with the other leather armors for that purpose and chain shirt in with the mediums. This also means natural armor gets a category as well. If some thing has both natural armor and is wearing armor add them together.

In a damgae reduction system I would split the AC in half with the 1st number being deflection and the second one soak.

Like wise with my weapon modifications I would then say the first modifier (whether positive or negative) would be vs the "to hit" roll and the second would be against the soak. Examples:

A two handed Mattack would be a +2 to hit and would ignore 1 point of DR from Heavy armor.

A Halfling fist vs heavy armor would be a -2 to hit and would actualy add one to the DR. EeeeK!

Just an idea.

Spyritwind

First Post
I once posted (on the old boards which I cannot get to right now) a highly detailed experiment with using a 1/2 DR system with armor and it's effects on combat.

I had examples of two 6th level fighters fighting each other and two first level fighters fighting each other.

I usued a half DR system and the regular DnD system.

I also calculated with and with out the Power Attack Feat. I included percentage chances of getting in critical hits and the average amount of damage and blah, blah, blah. I ended up with the average number of rounds it would take to down ones opponent with the various options. I was actually surprised at how well the game balanced out the way it is written now. Although I don't care to crunch all those numbers again the basic out come is this.

With a half DR system characters or creatures with heavy armor will become much more powerfull to those doing little damage. A character in full plate will be nearly invincible to kobold attacks for instance. Characters with decent sized weapons and the power attack feat can balance this advantage out though. If one is having trouble getting past the DR it's worth taking a few negatives to hit to help insure damage when you do hit.

Monsters (dragons) with really high AC will be nearly impossible to hurt with out a critical hit for most characters.

Two low level fighters in heavy armor and without power attack will take forever to put one another down.

If you still want to go the 1/2 DR direction you may consider making DR change damage into subdual damage instead of no damage at all. That way it's still possible to defeat someone, or something with a high AC, but you haven't killed it yet.

This means local militia and kobolds could still bring down a high level figher in heavy armor eventually, but when they do he's (she's) not dead yet, just unconscious and/or exhausted.

This will go with the idea that it still "hurts" when you get hit and you get wore out, but not "damaged"

Last edited:

Remove ads